When I'm Struggling With A Depressive Episode, My Godly Community Is There

At the center of following Jesus should always be Biblical community.

119

The idea of “crippling depression” is often used as a punchline in millennial-originating humor. Just searching the term on Twitter brings thousands upon thousands of tweets that use the mental illness in a variety of ways for comedic effect.

However, at the root of this type of comedy is often a struggle to overcome, or at least deal with, depression. I myself have found humorously jabbing at my own mental health struggles to, sometimes, be a short-term escape from a rather constant mental battle.

But the farther I work through my college career, and the harder I think about life after attending Western Washington University, I begin to realize that these childish, comedic coping mechanisms serve no long-term help or benefits. If anything, relentlessly joking about and making light of mental illness normalizes the idea that it is a health concern that should not be taken seriously.

This quarter, I work up to 20 hours a week as a small group leader for Campus Christian Fellowship, a college campus ministry on mission at WWU. Being in a leadership role taught me (and continues to teach me) the importance of proper mental health treatment. If I don’t take care of my mental wellbeing, I lessen my ability to lead and mentor those around me.

Going into finals week, I felt a particularly relentless storm of depression. Catching me off guard, I first went back to my old, high school mechanism of soda and junk food. But by the middle of the week, God snapped me to my attention, and I realized how much better and healthier of options I had thanks to my relationship with Him.

This holiday season, many will (unfortunately) be attacked by depression and other mental illnesses, affecting their state of mind, productivity, and physical/emotional well-being. But in anticipation of this season (which doesn’t automatically end with Christmas, the holiday season is still in session) I want to offer the most vital advice I can give to those who are also fighting depression during “the most wonderful time of the year.”

In the Apostle Paul’s letter to Roman Believers in Christ, he encourages them to:

“... be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above [themselves]. Never be lacking in zeal, but keep…spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Share with the Lord’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality" (Romans 12:10-13 NIV).

Christians are called to serve one another, to bear each other’s burdens, to support one another. Seeking out a community of fellow believers means having a refuge in community. For those who are not religious, it means being welcomed in open arms to be loved and supported just the same.

Godly community is how I endure my episodes of depression. Having fellow brothers and sisters who are willing to encourage me, pray for me, and do anything they can to support me helps me have something physically constant in my life for when my mental health becomes unstable. Even this past episode during finals week, I took time out of my busy schedule to attend a small Christmas party with the men I help lead small group for. Their support, love, and hospitality reminds me of Jesus’ Light amidst the dark, depressing fog that sporadically manifests within me.

This holiday season, no matter who you are, where you are from, or what you believe, I truly hope and pray for community to support you and empower you. Continue fighting with community having your back.

It is my prayer that bodies of Believers also would be hospitable and welcoming, receiving and devoting themselves to living out what the Bible commands them to do. The ultimate gift of the holiday season, community, is already here. Now it’s time for us to practice and seek it constantly.

If I have learned anything from spending this past year as a university student, it is that it is easier to fight illness in community, surrounded by those who have your back.