I think one of the hardest things to experience as a human on Earth is love for someone that is not reciprocated. This can be a potential friend that chooses to ignore you, or a romantic interest that turns out to be unavailable. Unrequited love can also occur within families, like a parent, child or sibling that does not return the same care and kindness you give them. In any case, it's a heavy burden on the heart. You want so badly to give them the world, and they either don't care, or don't want it from you. How do you even begin to cope with that?

I have been experiencing unrequited love in a few areas of my life lately, and I won't lie, it's been a test of my faith. I wonder how God could allow me to have such strong feelings toward people that don't care whether I love them or not. Late one night, I was pondering this, shaking my proverbial fist at God for letting this happen to me, again. That's when the still, small voice spoke so loudly that I had no choice but to shut up and listen.
"Ella, as jealous as you are for their heart is how jealous I am for yours."
Oof. Toes officially stepped on. I remembered Deuteronomy 4: 23-24 which states,

23 "Be careful not to forget the covenant of the Lord your God that he made with you; do not make for yourselves an idol in the form of anything the Lord your God has forbidden. 24 For the Lord your God is a consuming fire, a jealous God."

I was idolizing the chase to care for others in my life. I was putting my desire to love other people well above my desire to love God well. When we are jealous for someone, it means that we want nothing more than to give them the best of our hearts. God being jealous for us means that He delights in giving us his best, and wants a consistent relationship with us. Who are we to deny the God of the Universe what his flawless, holy heart desires?

Not only is giving God our whole self the only proper response to such a magnificent Lord and Savior, but it is also beneficial to us in ways too numerous to count! When we surrender to God's jealous, wholesome, perfect love, our hearts become complete in ways we did not know we were lacking. We receive blessings from God as a direct consequence of our obedience. Most importantly, we begin to see the world as it is, with God as the Author and Creator under which all things are subservient.

Psalm 9:10 says that God has never forsaken those who seek His faith and put their trust in Him. As much as we as humans idolize the love and affection of humans, there has never been and never will be a more perfect love than that of God. He sacrificed His son Jesus so that we could have a real, sustained relationship with Him forever! No friend, spouse, significant other or family member could ever compare to a love like that. Dear friend, God is jealous for you. He promises that if you will give your heart to Him, it will rest in the safest hands there ever were. All we have to do is let Him have us.