Get It Done

Get It Done

Talking about productivity

65

Everyone knows that feeling of having something that has to be done that they are just dreading or at least avoiding. Is it that assignment due soon, something at work, household chores like laundry and washing the dishes, or something else entirely? Whatever it is, I’m here to tell you to go do that right now. Seriously, stop reading and go do it! Please come back, though, and read the rest of the article after because it just might help you out a little.

Alright, are you done?

You sure?

Okay then let’s continue...

I’m going to start with the obvious and talk about procrastination. Some people say procrastination is not your friend, but to be honest, it is. It’s just a very unhealthy friendship and that’s why it has so much control over you. A part of stopping procrastination is simply willpower and being able to say no, but that’s not an easy task. I’ll list a few things I do to keep myself accountable:

• Do Homework with Other People Around
    • They don’t even have to be people doing the same homework just people to keep you from turning away from the work and to a distraction.
  • Incentivise Getting Your Work Done
    • Set goals and when you complete those goals give yourself a predetermined reward. This does require you to be good about not giving in early.
  • Go To A Different Location
    • Often when I start getting distracted I change my location, and often times the movement and moments of the focus off of work will refocus me.

I also want to write a little bit about lists and schedules because I am a huge advocate for them. I started the year using a notebook and planner, but when I have a central location to work from, like my desk, I prefer to use whiteboards, because tasks can be erased when completed, which is satisfying.

I currently have two little whiteboards sitting on my desk. One has a permanent schedule on it that has my classes, when I go to the gym, when I do laundry, when my extracurriculars are, and a space at the bottom for dates where there is a one-time event or meeting I need to go to.

The other is a to-do list that keeps a list of my homework on it in priority of what is due soonest, but if I know a certain assignment takes a long time I might put a star or some way of identifying that it’s time-consuming near it just so that I start it early.

My final piece of advice is that you are the only one who knows what will work for you. My advice or the advice of others can only go so far, and you need to take the time to figure out what works for you. If something doesn’t work for you then don’t do it, but if something does don’t let others tell you that you shouldn’t do it because it isn’t conventional or it isn’t what works for them. Getting things done is a very individual process, and as long as you are honest with yourself about if something works for you or not then you have the ability to be successful.