Glowing up isn't just about juice and squats.

5 "Glow Up" Tips For Back To School

I don't tell you to drink water, you still should.

16

As the last month of summer begins, I find myself talking stock of how I have spent my time, what I still wish to achieve with my free moments, and make any additional plans I can. My summer days have thus been largely comprised of napping on the beach, hostessing at a phenomenal Taco joint and reading Sophia Amoruso or Dante. Left on my list are the hours to spend rifling through Generation Records in the village, paddleboarding in Saugatuck, and some good old fashioned fishing.

It is this essential downtime, I am inspired and fueled to consider all that is possible in the year to come. 'Glowing Up' is more than making gains in our own perceived physical beauty or health practices, it is embodying the inner goddess that lies within all of us through each intentional action we take.

Get Organized!

1. Time management starts now! I love buying a fresh agenda and color coding my schedule ahead of time so that I can start to plan time I can spend completing assignments or at the gym outside of class. Strategizing how to best maximize the breaks between classes realistically has been tremendously helpful for me. A 30 minute break may seem like enough time to run from Canisius to Faber to change and do a short write-up...however, this would likely to lead to high stress and a less than impressive assignment. Rather than trying to use 1 hour or shorter breaks to complete work, it seems these breaks are best for organization, cleaning up notes from class or grabbing a coffee and snack before the next class. Perhaps this time would even be ideal for a brief meditation.

2. Communicate with advisors or friends! It is beneficial to address any concerns, questions, or ideas you might have for the fall semester with whoever you need or want to be involved. If you want to add an additional course, start that dialogue with your faculty advisor sooner rather than later! If you want to start a creative club with your friends, let them know your ideas so they can contribute more and be on the same page when the semester starts and activity picks up.

Get Back Into Good Habits!

3. Do what you do at school but put off at home! It can be easy to slip out of certain aspects of the school routine while at home for the summer. However, getting back into a gym schedule, reading more, and even staying on top of keeping a clean space can be great practices to keep when getting ready to head into the college environment. Make sure to hit the gym and eat those greens, listen to a podcast, tell your guardian you love them!

4. Decide what you want your semester to look like. Setting healthy and measurable goals for the semester is key! Your intentions should match to actions you know you can effectively take. If you want to focus on your studies more before going abroad in the spring, then write your intention and consider how you can ensure that your focus will remain on target. I believe in pushing oneself to the absolute best they can reach and making the hard choices, spending time alone, and sacrificing sleeping late is sometimes the cost of getting ahead in life.

Take It In Stride, Queen.

5. Not every morning is going to be waking up with enough time to do full makeup and hair before your 8AM, get an almond milk latte, eat a decent breakfast, and read your NY Times. But, you can and will get yourself to that class, ask engaging questions, take killer notes and have some time to grab that latte and paper after. While it won't always be picture-perfect with each minute filled with maximum productivity, it will all be learning. Life happens, you decide how you respond and how you move forward with gratitude and grace for the journey.