Glow: The Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling

Glow: The Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling

A Netflix show that should make it on to your overly-packed watch list this Summer.

35

On Jun 29th, Netflix blessed the world with season 2 of Glow. And I gulped down that show like a bowl of ramen—finishing the following day at 5 a.m.

Now, if you haven't heard about Glow, this show is about a group of "unconventional women" who come together to create a female wrestling show. Yes, you read that correctly: WRESTLING. The WWE Divas have been quaking with fear for the last couple of days.

Glow follows the lives of all these different women who train a lot to make this show successful. Yes, we are talking about flipping ladies over, locks, jumps, all the badass stuff you can imagine. Each character created their own persona based on who they are, which came to be a bit stereotypical. It fed the show well, though.

Set in the 1980s, we get many cultural (and political) references that appeal to the watcher with neatly-done aesthetics, especially the soundtrack. It includes famous singles from bands and artists like Journey, Guns N Roses, Barbra Streisand, Patti LaBelle, Billy Joel, Bon Jovi, The Go-Go's, Queen. A combination of artists that give the show that vintage feeling.

However, because I am such a sucker for Glow, I wanted to fangirl a little about some parts of the show.

1. Ladies training

Now, I don't know if these ladies had stunt doubles, but during most of the show we saw the ladies of the show doing every flip and jump by themselves during training, even their faces were shown while wrestling. To anybody that says that women aren't strong enough to fight... Haha, just make them watch this show.

2. Opening theme sequence

Okay, but can we just admire how perfectly done that is? The only problem is that that amazing sequence is only shown on the first episode of season one and two. But, there's YouTube to help with that.

3. Season 2, Episode 8

This episode made me fall in love with Glow more than I already was. It is way different from the rest. This episode is like if it had been an actual episode of Glow the wrestling show, not the Netflix show. It was original and alleviating from all the drama going on, and we also got a banging bop about makeovers. Can we just take a moment, please?

Fun fact: I found out that this show was inspired by the 1980s original Glow where men dressed up as women and wrestled. I'm shook, people.

But, this is my pitch for the show, where I just decided to fangirl because it is something I can be good at—besides binge-watching Glow in one night.