'Little Fires Everywhere' Was An Awesome Show, But I'm Glad It's Over

Okay, everyone, listen up. It's time we had a little chat.

On March 18, 2020, "Little Fires Everywhere" premiered on Hulu with its first three episodes. This drama tells the story of two women, Elena Richardson and Mia Warren, who have absolutely nothing in common but whose lives completely intertwine in the late 1990s when Mia and her daughter Pearl move to Elena's perfect, beloved town of Shaker Heights, Ohio. I don't want to give the series away for those who haven't seen it, but Elena's idyllic world and Mia's secretive life clash and bring all conflict to the forefront of these families' lives, covering topics from motherhood to sexual identity to teen pregnancy.

This series is a masterpiece. I mean, c'mon. Reese Witherspoon and Kerry Washington executive produced and starred. The drama of each episode is gripping and leaves the viewer eager to see what comes next (the cliffhangers were killer when we had to wait a week between each episode).

And because this series is so great, viewers have been asking about a season two. The MINUTE the show ended, I saw posts on social media asking for more episodes. Now, I will say the series does indeed end on a bit of an uncertain note (as I said, I don't want to spoil anything for those who haven't seen the series, so I will leave it at that), but that doesn't mean we need more.

First of all, "Little Fires Everywhere" was originally a novel by Celeste Ng. The TV show covered the novel in its entirety with just a few changes from what I can tell (this is one of the first times I've ever watched an adaptation without reading the book first!). The whole story has been told, so to continue the show, new content would have to be created. Plus, I think that kind of does a disservice to the author of the book—she already told her story how she wanted it to be told.

Also, "Little Fires Everywhere" was brought to Hulu as a limited series. This means the intention was never to renew the series for more episodes. Limited series are just a good way to tell more of a story than would be able to be told in a movie, and we all know movie sequels usually aren't great.

Finally, the story just doesn't allow for this story to continue. It's hard to explain without spoiling the story, but for anyone who does know the tale, it just can't continue organically.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see Kerry Washington and Reese Witherspoon onscreen together again. However, I just don't think to add on to "Little Fires Everywhere" is the solution.

(For more information on the potential of a season two and some spoilers, see this article.)