Every year, I struggle with figuring out what to give up for lent because let's be honest: there are hundreds of things that I can choose from. Because of that, I wanted to make a list for other people too. Us college students have a lot going on in our lives and not much time to do those things, so I wanted to help you all out with this list that will hopefully help your college experience. With this list of 11 things, I also want to leave you with the bible verse I am choosing to model my Lenten journey after:

Joel 2: 12-14, "Even now," declares the LORD, "return to me with all your heart, with fasting and weeping and mourning." Rend your heart and not your garments. Return to the LORD your God, for He is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and abounding in love, and He relents from sending calamity.

Who knows? He may turn and relent and leave behind a blessing — grain offerings and drink offerings for the LORD your God.

1. Social media

There's a lot of negativity on here, and it's easy to get sucked into the never ending "scrolling spiral."

2. Video streaming services

You know you spend too much time on netflix and youtube... we all know it.

3. Snacking

Just because you're bored, it doesn't mean it's time for snacks! try making that time into prayer time instead!

4. Favorite food/drink

I know, I know... but if you're so obsessed with it that you can't stop thinking about it, it will be a good test of patience and abstinence.

5. Guilty pleasure

Let's be honest... if it makes you feel guilty, you probably shouldn't do it anyway.

6. Swearing

It can be easy to overlook how your words impact other people, so try using this to be more considerate and aware of your language.

7. Caffeine

Caffeine is a drug, plain and simple. Caffeine headaches will be rough, but I believe in you.

8. The "snooze" button

Try to use the time that you would spend using those extra snoozes praying!

9. Skipping class

Go to class because you'll stop throwing your money down the drain!

10. Procrastination

You'll feel so much better about yourself if you get things done at a NORMAL pace and within a comfortable time frame, trust me.

11. Negative self-talk

You deserve more than this, truly. Take this time to turn the negative into positives!