The 5 Best Reasons To Give Greek Life A Go

The best things about being part of the Panhellenic community.

19
Melinda Carrasco

With fall recruitment just around the corner, everyone in Greek life everyone is posting their chapter videos saying, "Go This" or "Go That" in hopes of catching your interest. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this; I myself am extremely proud of the sisterhood I belong to, and I happily participate in these posts, profile picture filters, and what not. The only problem with statuses and posts like this is that we aren't promoting the actual Greek System - just our specific chapters. Often times, this leads to posts of this sort getting misconstrued. To outside viewers, it can seem like more of Greek competition rather than a Greek community. The Greek community is meant to be united, and as a part of that community, we should ultimately want girls to find a home that fits them; whether that is our specific chapter or not.

That being said, I was not always one hundred percent sure I would go through recruitment, but now I cannot imagine my life without the amazing women I get to call my sisters. For anyone out there who is on the fence about going Greek, let me share my top five reasons why I love it, and why I encourage you to at least give it a try.

5. Spirit.

There is something special when you walk into a sorority house. Each house has its own feel, but once you make your choice, that house will become your home. It is where you long to be after a rough day - surrounded by sisters who will lift you back up. The spirit of Greek life is hard to put into words, but it is noticeably felt. It is the giggles in the house living room. The watching funny Facebook vids in the dining room. It is falling asleep with your pals on the back room couches. It extends beyond our houses though. Spirit is the intensity during Greek intramurals. It is a pure joy and sheer excitement of Bid Day. It is the face paint during sisterhood retreats and the outfits during workshops. The overwhelming Greek support during things like RebelTHON or The Big Event. The spirit of the Panhellenic Community keeps our best foot forward, and being happy while we are at it.

4. Involvement.

Each sorority has their own philanthropy and service projects that they volunteer with. This keeps us involved with our communities and allows us to give back to those who support us so well. Outside of those specific philanthropies though, Greek women tend to be involved on campus as well. Some of the most outstanding women I know are extremely dedicated to, and passionate about, various extracurriculars on campus, while also dedicated to their chapters. They spend time organizing events, and they are actively pursuing ways to improve our campus and community. These are the women who lead with grace and confidence. Within each chapter though there are so many ways to be involved: Bible studies, intramural teams, sisterhood retreats, and study groups. There will always be something to help out with or be involved in if you go Greek.

3. Accountability.

Being in a sorority keeps you accountable. Once you go Greek you not only represent yourself but also the thousands of other women who have worn your letters before you. I know it may be hard to imagine since society has warped the view of sorority life, but I assure you we do not go party every night. We do watch each other's back. We do study together. We do go to church together. We sit down and address issues with one another when needed. We encourage each other to do better, whether that is in school work or social life. Each sorority has certain values that their members strive to live by. When you pledge a sorority, you are pledging to be the best version of yourself.

2. The Sisterhood.

That sounds so cliche, but honestly, it is incredible. This summer I worked at a summer camp, and a lot of letters I received were from girls in my chapter that I didn't even expect to write to me. It was such a nice surprise to know that they cared enough to reach out to me. During the school year, I always have someone to eat with, study with, cry to, celebrate with, the list goes on and on. When you join a sorority, you do not just have these people for four years, you have them for life. This network of superstars will extend long past college, into graduate school, and adulthood. It really is a small world, and you will soon find that you have an amazing network of people that have your back. From the President, to the house mom, to the advisory chairman, to girls in your member class, there are always people who are willing to sit, talk with you, and help you through anything. It is such a comfort to know that you have people there who have your best interest at heart.

1. Well-Rounded.

What I love most about Greek life, is that you are loved and appreciated for who you are. Never think that you would not have a place in a sorority because in every chapter there are girls who are artsy, academic, sporty, shy, musically inclined, readers, comical, the list goes on and on. We are all so different, and it is the diversity of our chapters that help us to thrive. Surrounding yourself with people who differ from you helps you grow as a person, and specifically allows you to become more accepting and well rounded. It is a privilege to call girls who have grown up across the country from me sisters, because our difference life experiences make us stronger. Greek life has exposed me to so many unique and inspiring girls who have broadened my perspective.

I would be naive to think that the Greek life is for everyone. I understand it is not. I have some awesome friends who either chose not to go through recruitment, or decided after recruitment that it just was not for them. That is one hundred percent okay. Never let someone tell you that your college experience will be any greater or lesser based on a Greek house. Your college experience is what YOU make of it. With that being said, I do highly encourage going through recruitment and seeing what each sorority is all about. I would much rather you give it a try only to decide it is not for you, than to never try it and always wonder "what if?" If you stay true to who you are, and follow your heart, I guarantee that you are going to have an amazing year, no matter what you are involved in. I hope you have a happy, happy school year. Those of you going through recruitment - have fun! Recruitment week flies by so make some new friends and take it all in.

Go Greek Life ! Y A Y !