The Sport That Changed My Life

The Sport That Changed My Life

The sport that gave me so much I could only wish I could give back.

69
The Sport That Changed My Life

To the little girl in her basement holding that plastic red bat. Standing the wrong way. Swinging and missing the ball each and every time your dad tosses it to you. You don’t realize it now, but in just a few short years, your life will change forever.

To the little girl with the baseball hat on too small for her head. Picking flowers in the outfield. Knocking over the baseball tee every time she swings. I know you’re swinging for the fences boog, but you’ll have your time. I promise.

To the little girl in the pink jersey 2 sizes too big, with her helmet on 2 sizes too small. Feeling that ball hit the sweet spot for the very first time. It’s addicting, I know. You’ll have time to get better.

To the little girl who tried out for her first travel ball team. Feeling defeated at eight years old when the coaches tell her that she isn’t good enough. That she won’t be good enough. That anger she feels. Let that fuel the fire. Let that give you reason to prove them wrong.

To the teenage girl crying in her room because she was one point away from making her first travel ball team. I know you were so close. I know how useless you feel. I know how much you want to quit. Just keep pushing wheels, this is only the beginning.

To that same teenage girl sitting in her hotel room at nationals calling her dad in tears because she wants to go home. Don’t let the opinions of the rest of them dictate what you think of yourself. You proved to yourself you could make it. This is only a minor setback.

To the teenage girl in the lime green uniform with her group of friends laying on their bags talking about life. Cherish these memories, because these are the best days of your life.

To that high school freshman who couldn’t finish out her high school season due to her grades. I know softball seems like the only thing in your life that is important, but in order for you to achieve your dream of playing in college, you have to do your homework, too.

To the high school sophomore who dove for the foul ball at third base, and got up just fine. It doesn’t feel like it, but just that catch will change you for the rest of your life.

To the high school senior sitting in the doctor’s office crying because your choices are surgery or softball. Choose softball. You’ll fix yourself up. You always do.

To that same high school senior, butterflies in her stomach as the first college scout approaches her and asks her to play for them. All the tears, all the dirt, all the scars left on her body and all the fights with her dad feel at that moment that they were totally worth it.

To the college freshman who loses her scholarship due to surgery. After surgery, an 18 month recovery, and losing her chance of playing past high school. Trust me, I know it feels like your life is over. I understand how big that pit in your stomach is. I know how numb you feel. I know the amount of tears you’re holding back and the rage you’re keeping inside. It will get better.

To the 20 year old coaching her first high school team. You see a little bit of yourself in each one of those young ladies. Give them the opportunities that you wished you had. Show them the inferno in your eyes and the love in your heart, and cross your fingers in hopes that they will reach the goals that you could have achieved.

To the 21 Year old who got a phone call offering a spot on a competitive fast pitch team. Cry. Cry as much as you want. I know how much this means to you. I know how much you’ve wanted to break out that navy blue glove again. Say yes.

To the 23 year old girl being denied a coaching position with the sport she has loved all of her life. It hurts. Believe me, I know. But please don’t see that as the end.

To the 24 year old girl being asked to coach again. I know your mother laughs because you’re crying, yet again. Be happy. All the feelings of insecurity will fade away.

To that same 24 year old at her last game; an inning away from a perfect season. I know it's surreal. I know all your emotions are built up. I know that you just want to jump for joy and cry out of emotion. Hug those kids. They have changed your love of the game forever.

To the woman with scars on her body, aches in her joints, permanent bruises and breaks, and a chip on her shoulder a mile high. As you’re hanging up your cleats for the final time, I know it hurts. I know it aches in your heart. I know it’s something you never thought you would do. I know that you never thought there would be a day that you would give up the simple thing that made you who you are. What gave you your identity. Made you the person you are. Your records will be broken, your name will be forgotten. Your game balls and your glove will end up collecting dust. Hold on to those memories, because they are some of the very few things that keep you going.