To The Girl Who Thinks Her Life Is Incomplete Without A Boyfriend

Life is better when you're happy with who you are before you look for "the one."
108

First of all, I just want to say that I don’t mean any of this in the way of shaming girls. You do you, but this is how I feel.

OK, girl! You’re about 20 years old maybe 18 or 22, but your exact age doesn’t matter. You’re going to college or maybe you're working and supporting yourself — either way, your on your own and it feels good. But, you feel like it's boring or lonely with just you, I mean, everyone wants someone in their life. It’s natural and normal to feel alone or lonely, but you have your entire life. Being on your own feels good, remember?

Looking for "the one" is cliche and old fashion because, in a world with dating apps, is there really any looking to do? The people looking for a hookup, a date or a relationship are everywhere! You swipe right and that’s that. Alright, maybe that’s just how it is now and that’s our dating culture. But, it really doesn’t have to be this way.

Make friends — you know, the really great kind that will be there forever, never bring you down and will always tell you like it is. And, if you’re my friend, I’m going to tell you that you’re going about this whole “finding the one” thing all wrong. I think finding love shouldn't be some hunt or great search for who you think you should be with.

So, back to making friends, make all the friends you can and have each other’s backs. Go out, meet people, have a good time and be real. Stop looking for the right guy and work on being happy with yourself. I may only be 19 but I’ve spent so much time searching for someone to make me feel happy, confident or to just make me feel something good when in reality that sh*t was all up to me.

Be freaking happy with yourself with your homies by your side and it’s going to be OK.

You’re probably thinking right now — this b*tch needs to take a lap. And, maybe I need to, but really — life is way better when you're happy with who you are, you’re feelin’ yourself and you have friends that love and support you no matter what.

So, if you think I’m full of sh*t and don’t think you can take anything away from my rant: please, take the time you would spend looking for "the one" and do things for yourself.

It’s time to be happy with yourself because you have your entire life ahead of you, so why waste your prime on searching. Believing I could be alone for a while was the best decision I ever made.

If I want a healthy and happy relationship in the future, I need to use my college years and some of my 20s to live just my life, not be tied down and to find out what I want.