Date a Girl Who Reads

Date a Girl Who Reads

Keep her close to you.

1345
Date a Girl Who Reads
Tumblr

Date a girl who reads. Date a girl who has her laptop always open to the Goodreads website and who is clearly proud of the reviews she writes when she finishes her books. Date a girl who constantly adds to the list of books she wants to read and applied for a library card the minute she was able to.

Find a girl who reads. She will always have an unread book in her bag and several books on her bookshelf. She does not hesitate to order new books, even with her several unread ones. She is the girl that drags her library with her to every apartment she lives in because she is not able to be away from her books for a long period of time. During a vacation, you can catch her pulling a book out of her suitcase. Rest assured she has one or two extra books stashed in that suitcase.

She is the one lovingly glazing her eyes over the shelves in the bookstore, the one who quietly makes a noise of excitement when she finds that book she wants. She can never resist smelling the pages-- especially the pages of old books.

She is the girl that reads, everywhere. In the coffee shop, in the park, on the couch and in between classes. If you take a peek at her, she’s hugging her mug close to her body so she can sip on it without taking her eyes off of the only thing she wants to look at-- words.

Or perhaps her coffee is already two hours too cold because she had forgotten about it while cheering on her favorite character, just completely lost in a world of the author’s making. Sit down across from her. She might give you a look, as most girls who read do not like to be interrupted. Ask her if she likes the book.

Buy her another cup of coffee. Make sure it's warm.

Let her know what you really think of "Murakami." See if she got through the first chapter of "The Hobbit." Ask her if she loves Alice or she would like to be Alice. As her how she felt about Dorian Gray while reading Wilde's masterpiece.

It’s easy to date a girl who reads. Once you know her book list, give her books for her birthday and for Thanksgiving and for Christmas and for Tuesdays. Find her author signed books and take her on surprise trips to used bookstores. She adores used bookstores, specifically the smell that accompanies them-- the history that beams from the books with the touch of every page.

Give her the gift of words, in books, in song, in poetry. Give her Tolstoy, Dostoyevski, Austen and Grant. Let her know that you understand that words are love. Understand that she knows the difference between books and reality but, by God, every now and then she will try to be a touch like the heroins of her favorite books.

Why be anxious about everything that you are not? Girls who read understand that people, like characters, develop. People grow, experience, understand and learn, because she did. She experienced and grew, particularly through the words of her favorite novel.

If you find a girl who reads, keep her close to you. When you find her up at 2 a.m. clutching a book to her chest and weeping, make her a cup of tea and hold her. Let her tell you about her book and what impacted her even if you do not know the story. You may lose her for a couple of hours but she will always come back to you. She will talk as if the characters in the book exist, because for a while, they always do.

The true happiness will compel you to smile so powerfully and innocently, you will wonder why your heart hasn’t burst from love quite yet. She will sit on the couch, curled up in the words that comfort her. You will watch her-- her eyes specifically. Even the way her lips move with her emotions and reactions.

She writes you notes. Perhaps explanations, of thoughts and feelings. Her desires and wants. She speaks with written words better than any other kind. She writes from the heart and she will write you pages upon pages. She will explain it best on paper.

Listen, read, understand it.

Swallow it up with your heart and your eyes. It’s all there-- Her heart.

Date a girl who reads because you deserve it. You deserve a girl who can provide you the most colorful life imaginable. If you can only bestow her with monotony and stale hours and half-baked proposals-- then you are better off alone.

If you want the world and the worlds beyond it, date a girl who reads.