Gingers On Ice Tour Journal, Pt. 4

Gingers On Ice Tour Journal, Pt. 4

A comedic journey through the hearts and minds of America.

8
Gingers On Ice Tour Journal, Pt. 4
Alex Tait, Jacob Godbey

My name is Jacob Godbey and I’m a comedian/filmmaker currently based out of Missoula, MT. In late 2015, my comedy partner Alex Tait and I started Gingers On Ice, a humorous variety show to showcase everything we find funny.

After a warm reception in our home state, we took the show on the road for a month in June 2016. The following are of my tour journals, edited down a bit from the stream of consciousness that originally filled my notebook pages. If you'd like to know more about the show, find us on Facebook, or at my website.Here are parts one, two, and three. Part four is the final part.

6.23.16

Salt Lake City, UT

Well, here we are. Alex and I are currently driving to Salt Lake City for our show tomorrow night. The drive is a long one; it requires us to drive about halfway through Cali, all the way through Nevada, then about halfway through Utah. But I look back on the last couple days fondly.

I feel it offered me some closure that I missed out on and I’m proud to call Cassidy a friend. I’m also proud to call her entire family friends of ours. I doubt our paths will cross again, but I said that last time and then spent five nights at her house, so… that remains to be seen.

We arrived at Shauna’s house in SLC around 8:30. Alex and Shauna went to high school together and he primed me that she was a cool cat, but I didn’t expect us to be bitch friends. What I mean by that is she made us the stiffest margaritas I’ve ever tasted and we got drunk and bitched about life, about love, about other things that start with an ‘L.’ Shauna was great; she made me feel instantly welcome in her home and I actually wished we had stayed another night in Salt Lake. Plus, she has ducks.

6.24.16

Salt Lake City, UT

When we arrived at the Complex, people were already lined up around the block. Could that be for us? Alas, it was not. Instead, there was a local MMA fight happening in the venue next to us. We later found out we had sold only two tickets! But first, Alex and I walked into our space and were…. A little underwhelmed. More bar with a platform in the corner, it was pretty clear that not a lot of comedy shows like ours happened in the Vibe. In addition, a security guy named Wolf said that his squad was out in full force because of the MMA crowd. We assured him we wouldn’t need any security and let him go on his way.

About an hour later, our two fans Jody and Suzie arrived. I went out into the audience and spoke with them. They didn’t believe that we had only sold two tickets, because they figured we were professionals that were selling out venues. Why wouldn’t they believe that? Jody insisted we not do our show and instead just have a funny, intellectual conversation with he and his wife. So we did! If every crowd we ever have is only two people it wouldn’t be so bad, as long as they’re all as cool as Jody and Suzie. Two truly very nice souls, who tipped us big and wished us well.

6.25.16

Pocatello, ID

Last show of the tour in Pocatello, ID tonight. We for sure have at least six people coming (even if they are all related to Alex), so it should be a good show! I’ve been pretty anxious since we left Sacramento. I’m pretty positive that my time spent there was the most relaxed I’ve been in my entire life and since we’ve left, my subconscious knows the responsibilities that await me when we return to Missoula.

After a pleasant barbecue with much of Alex’s family, we ventured down to the Comedy Project and setup for the show. The guy that runs the place, Ted Bonnman, was described to me by a mutual friend as “the nicest guy ever.” I can confirm that.

The show was a very good note to end the tour on. Though the crowd was small, they were passionate and we had several scenes that bowed to uproarious laughter. After the show, we went to Gabby’s (of The Comedy Project) house and played board games with the crew. A lot of fun and that’s probably been my favorite part of this whole trip: spending great times with great people.

And I think that should do it for these tour diaries. All in all, I’m glad our hard work paid off. Going to school, working, writing comedy, and planning a tour at the same time is not something I recommend to anyone. But I got to see parts of the country I had never seen, built relationships that I can found a future on, and traveled thousands of miles with one of my best friends. Our crowds may have been small, but their spirits were not! Trips are also excellent for taking time to reflect on myself and I have made a lot of decisions about who I want to be in the future. I want to better myself physically and mentally, keep my friendships deep, but my romances light, and never stop pursuing success.

Next up? A brand-new Gingers On Ice show at the Top Hat in Missoula, MT on August 18th and 20th.