Gifts On A Budget

Everyone knows that money nowadays is tight. Many of us live paycheck to paycheck, and it can be difficult to buy the things that we want, but what do we do when when we want to buy a gift or two for our loved ones?

As a college students, I find myself facing this problem on a regular basis. Whether it be for Christmas, Valentine’s Day, birthdays, or just because, finding a stellar gift can be difficult when you are on a budget. However, there are plenty of other options.

First of all, the Dollar Tree is your best friend. Yes, everything is a dollar, but that does not mean that the merchandise is low quality. They do have some great products, and a dollar can go along way. One thing that I have done is giving a variety of different gifts inside a mason jar or basket. For females, you could buy a mason jar and fill it with nail polish, nail clippers, and a file. For a boy, you could fill a basket with sports merchandise. The Dollar Tree may be inexpensive, but inexpensive does not mean cheap.

Another option for gifts when you are on a budget is making the other person a home cooked meal or their favorite dessert. It is important to remember that the prices on food can add up. Keep in mind, that coupons are your best friend in this case. These kinds of gifts show that you listen to the person and you remember their interests. Plus, who doesn’t love food?

One of my personal favorite gifts to give is a handwritten poem. Whether or not you consider yourself a writing guru or a poetry amateur, it is a great way to show them that you put effort into the other person’s gift. Poetry written personally for a specific person can make them feel special, and you’ll feel great knowing that you made them smile.

DIY gifts have become very popular lately, especially with Pinterest at our fingertips. Pinterest is my go to for all of my crafting and gift giving needs. Not only that, but there are so many different crafts on Pinterest that many of us haven’t even heard of. Pinterest also has step-by-step instructions that can help make the gift making process easier.

Although all of these gifts are great, the ultimate gift to give someone is your time and love. Show interest in that person by spending the day with them. You do not have to take them to an expensive restaurant or spend thirty dollars at the movie theater. Spending time with your loved ones can be as simple as binge watching your favorite show on Netflix or ordering in pizza or Chinese food. I love spending time with my friends and family, and showing them that I care through spending time with them makes them and yourself happy.

I understand the struggle of finding the right gift on a budget, but the most important thing to remember is that you, yourself, are a gift, and it does not matter if you have the finances to buy an extravagant or not, if you show them you love them, then you are the true gift.