Ghosting: The Newest Form Of Rejection

Ghosting: The Newest Form Of Rejection

Why I would rather have someone be brutally honest than be ghosted.

30
Ghosting: The Newest Form Of Rejection
Tumblr

Whew! Thankfully the illustrious "single's awareness," I mean, Valentine’s Day, is over. Did you spend it alone, possibly being ghosted right before the day?

Urban Dictionary defines ghosting as "The act of suddenly ceasing all communication with someone the subject is dating, but no longer wishes to date."

Ghosting is the new, hip term for rejection. Instead of sitting down, talking through a "break-up" or ending whatever relationship/thing you might have had, the person essentially disappears.

This can be through ignoring texts and calls, and completely avoiding the person. Maybe you would always run into one another at a certain coffee shop? Bam! You notice that for the past week, they haven't been there once when you normally are.

Is technology to blame?

Maybe it's the invention of the internet to blame for ghosting? Instead of using a landline to make plans with someone and just count on them to meet you, you send a text.
"You on your way?"
"What are you doing tomorrow night?"
Could it be the endless options that technology provides us with? Tinder allows you to meet people that are hundreds of miles away. Either way, it’s simple enough to block a number, unfriend, unfollowing and completely disappear.

I came to the conclusion that though technology is a big reason why ghosting has become easier, we rely on exchanging texts and calls to confirm a relationship with someone. You don't have to constantly be texting the person but when they ignore your text for days at a time, you mind immediately assumes that you've been ghosted. It has become a normal way to break off whatever thing you might have with a person.

I suppose this leads to the bigger dilemma of DTR. Defining the relationship.
I, like many of you, have been sort of talking to this guy but we haven't officially dated. Oh, but we have a thing, kind of.
Yuck, so many what ifs and maybes.

Combining the shaky relationship statuses with the act of ghosting, society has created a game of messing around and a fear of settling down.

Whatever the reason might be, ghosting is simply not okay. I'm not saying that you're the one ghosting people. Who knows, you might have been ghosted.

Let's cut this bad habit out and treat everyone the way you want to be treated.