The New 'Ghostbusters' Aren’t Having Any Of Your Misogyny

I ain’t afraid of no gender roles!

6
ComingSoon.net

Every time a reboot of a movie is announced, there’s pushback. It’s to be expected; some movies or TV shows seem to only exist in the context of their time period. I certainly don’t think a movie like "Heathers" could get remade and have as much relevance as it did in the eighties (though "Mean Girls" is a suitable adaption). Shows like "The X-Files" or "Twin Peaks" are attempting to re-captivate their audience with new seasons, years after the last episode. "Star Trek" has been announcing some changes to beloved characters in the upcoming movie, and it’s ruffled a few feathers. However, none of the criticism of these movies comes close to the vitriol that was aimed at the 2016 "Ghostbusters" reboot. Why? Well, not only is it a reboot of a beloved franchise, but this time, all the leads are women.

Despite the trailer having the most dislikes on any video in YouTube history, "Ghostbusters" managed to have a successful opening weekend, and pleased critics and moviegoers alike. Melissa McCarthy and Kristen Wiig play, respectively, Abby and Erin, two scientists who were best friends in high school. They mutually bonded over their interests in all things paranormal, but eventually parted after Erin became skeptical. They’re pulled together again after Erin finds out that Abby published a book they wrote about ghosts, and someone approaches her asking for help with a ghost he encountered. Erin takes Abby (and Kate McKinnon’s Jillian Holtzmann) to the (literal) haunted mansion, and they come face to face with a real ghost. Abby posts the footage online, which results in Erin losing her job. Abby also loses her position at the school where she works after asking for more funding. The three of them finally a find a place to work on their experiments: an apartment above a Chinese restaurant. They're soon joined by Patty (Leslie Jones), a MTA worker who encountered a ghost on the subway. Patty acknowledges that she isn’t a scientist, but she’s street-smart and is very familiar with the layout of New York, so they welcome her aboard. Patty also gets them their iconic jumpsuits from work.

All of the characters are amazing in their own ways, but Kate McKinnon stole the show as Holtzmann. She's pretty out there; she builds all their tech, coming up with crazier and crazier things every time. Holtzmann is always in some kind of strange outfit. Whether it’s a tie and a floral shirt, or overalls and a crop top, it’s pretty clear that Holtzmann doesn’t care what anyone thinks of her. She’s here to build stuff and catch ghosts. Looking pretty is not on the agenda. Kate McKinnon, who plays her, is a lesbian, and the director said he intended to make Holtzmann queer as well, but the studio wouldn't allow it. In one of the end credit scenes, Holtzmann says “Safety lights are for dudes.” If anything sums up Holtzman, it’s that.

The other flipped gender was their receptionist, who in the original movies was a woman. In the new movie, Chris Hemsworth plays the pretty-but-dumb Kevin. He is (really, really) nice to look at, and Erin does get tongue tied around him at first, but he can barely answer the phones without messing up. He hangs up on clients, neglects to tells the Ghostbusters when they have people waiting on them, and messes up the names of the people visiting them. He says he took the lenses out of his glasses because they kept getting dirty, asked his employers to comment on which of his (shirtless) head shots looked better, and walked into a deli to get a sandwich during the final battle. Not only is he incompetent and ditzy, he’s also a damsel in distress. He gets possessed by a ghost and the Ghostbusters need to go save him, even though he hasn’t been especially helpful to them.

The other main male character is the villain, Rowan, a creepy concierge at a hotel in Times Square. The women in the diner where he frequents to plot his master plan argue over who has to deal with him, calling him creepy. When the Ghostbusters starts asking around, his boss tells them where he is because she immediately assumes that he’s done something wrong. He says that he wants to “break the barrier” and release ghosts into the world so they can destroy it, because he was bullied for most of his life. His backstory contrasts with the background we received on Abby and Erinl: after her first ghostly encounter, Erin was made fun of by her peers because nobody believed her story. Abby was the only one who believed her. Instead of taking out their anger and bitterness out on others, they threw themselves into their work. Rowan, meanwhile, has what essentially boils down to a temper tantrum.

Despite the extreme backlash, "Ghostbusters" managed to have a successful opening weekend, and was well received by critics and fans alike. What made it so refreshing was how little it relied on sexist stereotypes. The leading women were smart, caring, funny and they all believed in each other. They worked together, they didn’t fight, they got dirty, and they certainly didn’t need help from anyone else to save the day. The actress portraying them are all well-known for their comedic talents, and the characters are all extremely gifted in their fields; Erin was up for tenure at Columbia University, and Holtzman provides all their weaponry. Patty acknowledges that she isn’t a scientist, but she’s street-smart and is very familiar with the layout of New York. All of these women bring their own strengths to the party, and they all rely on each other. A ghostbuster is a ghostbuster regardless of gender. It’s their talent and abilities that matter.