You're Not so "Little" Anymore

You're Not so "Little" Anymore

Even living with you, I didn't know the real you

860
You're Not so "Little" Anymore
Melonie Pusser

Over Winter Break, I had the privilege of truly meeting somebody that I have known my entire life: my baby brother.

No, don't go back and reread that. Don't wipe your screen, don't send me into the psych ward for testing (please, don't do that.) I mean exactly what I just said: after living in the same house for 16 of my 19 years, I finally got a chance to truly see another side of my not-so-little brother.

As we have both grown up, my brother and I have been very different people. I have always been very quiet and shy, while he has broken out of his own shell over the years. We are both very reserved, but he can transition into new social situations with much more ease than I can.

He has always been a naturally talented athlete, standing at 6 feet, 1 inch at only 16 years old. In contrast, I have done well in sports but have not been blessed with the same level of athletic ability or height, standing at only 5' 3 since I was 12 years old.

I've always leaned towards English and social sciences as my preferred branches of studies. Thomas has shifted from sciences to politics to somewhere in between, still figuring himself out, as every sophomore in high school should.

I know a lot of people tell you not to judge a book by its cover, but it's a hard thing to do. You can never truly know every aspect of somebody's personality, not even when you share the same gene pool as that person.

This past winter break, I was introduced to a softer, more graceful side of my towering "little" brother when I attended a performance of the Nutcracker Ballet.

In my hometown, the local dance company encourages the dancers that serve in the role of "party adults" to invite a friend or significant other to dance alongside them in the party scene. Over the years, I have watched my friends dance alongside their boyfriends. I have watched gaming "nerds" dance beside elegant ballerinas, just as I have watched high school quarterbacks dance alongside their high school sweethearts.

However, I had never imagined I would see my younger brother on that stage, waltzing with his own girlfriend. Nevertheless, I returned home from Winter Break to the news that Thomas' girlfriend was not only a "party adult" (among other roles) in this year's performance, but she had also invited him to dance alongside her.

For this, I have a great deal of respect for both of them. She is a very talented, very graceful young athlete as well and I know that her busy schedule required a lot from her during "tech week." For him, this was a major step out of his comfort zone. Entirely at home either on the soccer field or holed up in his room, playing video games, waltzing on the stage with his long limbs was not something I could imagine him doing.

But Thomas never ceases to amaze our entire family.

Watching my "not-so-little" brother dance onstage really helped me change my own preconceived notions of the young man that my brother has become. Instead of just seeing him as a jock at school and a gaming nerd at home, I began to see him as the respectable young man that I know my entire family has always encouraged him to be.

Even with his towering stature, he carried himself with dignity. His sarcastic nature, for once, did not show in his expression. His face showed a smile that I have not seen in a long time, and at that precise moment, I knew he was genuinely happy with his life.

As we both grow into the strong and determined young adults that we have raised us to be, I hope that Thomas and I can continue to learn things about each other, discover that we may not be so different after all. Siblings are, generally, our first and closest best friends in life. While we may have the age difference, and now the distance from Whispering Pines to High Point, between us, I know that Thomas and I can continue to celebrate each other's accomplishments and share the joy that they bring to our entire family.

Thomas, I know you drive me crazy and I drive you absolutely insane sometimes, but I want you to know that I love you and I hope you continue to grow into the intelligent, dedicated, and respectable young man I saw on that stage back in December.

I love you, Nugget.