5 Things You'll Experience If You're Stuck On Campus Over Break

It sucks being from so far away from home.

97

There are a few times per school year when there are extended breaks for students to take off classes and possibly go home for a long weekend. This is all fine and dandy — if you can manage to actually go home. If you can't, you'll be thrown to the wolves.

For me, I stayed on campus last Thanksgiving Break alone for a few days, as well as this semester's fall break.

Taken from my past experiences, it sucks being from so far away from home (all my out-of-state homies understand the struggle), when you are literally the only person left around. Whether it's because you have to work, plane tickets home are too expensive, or you just don't feel like going home, I guarantee you'll find yourself going through the following scenarios:

1.  Campus will be an absolute ghost town.

It's super creepy if you walk around campus during a holiday break, because you will literally be the only living organism for a few square miles. My advice: stock up on snacks and rations BEFORE the break starts, then don't leave your apartment. Upside: unlimited choice for parking spots.

2.  You'll get incredibly homesick.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I'm so incredibly happy that all of you get to go home to your warm beds and smiling moms and cute dogs. Please - post more Instagram photos from your trip home, I love looking at them while wallowing in my own self-pity #Bitter.

3.  Some of your favorite places may be closed.

Possibly the most heartbreaking of all the scenarios: a lot of your favorite places may be closed. If you come from a small college town, business gets slow when everyone goes home, so stuff shuts down for a bit. On-campus buildings also close, so you can't even go to the Student Union and hang out and get food.

4.  You'll get BORED.  

Literally, there will be no one to talk to in your apartment, you don't have classes to attend for a few days, and all your friends will be busy with their families. Netflix and texting your mom will become your two main priorities.

5.  You'll find yourself being incredibly obnoxious.

If there is one good thing to come out of all of this, you really have the freedom to do whatever you want while everyone else is gone. When I was stuck here last time, I got to watch all six seasons of "Glee" on full volume (and not worry about anyone hearing me scream-sing at the top of my lungs. Take advantage of this!!!

So, stay warm this holiday season and keep yourself entertained. I suggest Netflix, snacks and more Netflix.