Dealing With Homesickness While Living 561 Miles From Home

I consider myself to have 2 homes now. The first being my home in Maryland and my second being the College of Charleston. There's nowhere else I'd rather be studying and going to school but the doesn't mean I don't occasionally get homesick.

117

I was able to go home 2 times during the first semester and my mom and aunt had visited me once as well. This semester's a little different, we only have one break and I am not going home for it. It's going to have been 4 months without seeing my family, that's insane!!

I call my mom almost every night just to tell her about my day and hear about hers. We text occasionally but that call is the main time we're really able to visit each other. Each call is ended by my mom telling me how much she misses me. I even received a little "wish you were here" card from her this week.

My mom and I have both looked at flights for her to come visit, but we were unable to find a good time, so the reunion will have to wait! My dad is actually visiting next week because he's here for work, but we're making sure to plan some fun stuff in his free time.

I wouldn't say I get homesick a lot, but everyone reaches a point in the semester where school is becoming overwhelming, we're more tired than ever, and being at home right now sounds like heaven. What's getting me through midterms is knowing that spring break is just around the corner.

Even though I'm not going home for the break, a break from school will be much appreciated. Another thing also coming up is my birthday! My birthday has never been a huge celebration, I prefer to do to something small for it. But it's going to be my first birthday not at home. I know my mom has a nice care package coming my way which I'm really excited about!

What helps me when I miss home is remembering that my family is just a phone call away! It's amazing how close and connected you can feel to someone while on the phone when in reality you're over 500 miles apart.

Social media is another way I stay connected with my family. We're all connected on Facebook and keep up with each others' posts.

I love attending the College of Charleston and living in this beautiful city but I also look forward to summer where I will be able to spend a lot of time with my family at home.