Will You Be Motivated In 2020?

Will You Be Motivated In 2020?

How does a person become motivated to change?

15
Will You Be Motivated In 2020?

It is the beginning of another year and as we look forward and wonder how time passed so quickly, some of us probably pledged some unrealistic, unattainable goals on New Year's Eve and by the next day, most have already forgotten them. Social media is filled with memes about resolutions or comments about the woulda, coulda, shoulda's. Besides, the media has advertisements for diets, exercise programs, and a lot of self-help info. This brings on a whole new level of guilt for many. The diet pills, weight loss shakes, and lotions or potions for the body are plastered on TV ads, magazines, and newspapers. There is no avoiding them, and they started in October and will not stop until the end of winter, and then there is the swimsuit guilt that comes next.

In the past, we had lists of resolutions we failed to achieve, only to rewrite them every year hoping to find the magic combination of goals that would motivate. Motivation is a subjective word as we all know. What motivates me is not what can and will motivate you. With of course the exception of money. So, let's consider the dollar value of becoming motivated to do what inspires and or brings more value to your life.

How does a person become motivated to change if this thin person on a frequently run tv commercial is promising you the body you never had for just $19.99 a month plus shipping and handling? Or the financial security to pay off all your debts and become a millionaire if you let these fly-by-night companies act as a spokesperson for your financial freedom. It wasn't the resolutions that were the problem; it was the lack of follow-through. The concept of planning. Waiting for that day to arrive and then when it arrives, plow forward with so much gusto that there will be a moment of resistance, and then the plan is postponed or forgotten. I read somewhere that it takes 21 days to make an action a habit, but a split second to break that habit.

The most common resolution is weight loss or a healthier lifestyle. A few will try to quit smoking or promise to save money with no real plan, so it is destined for failure. This year will be no different for the masses. These resolutions go hand in hand. Finding the right way to eat and get moving will save you hundreds in the long run. It does not require an expensive diet program or an overpriced gym membership that will be ignored by March. If your resolution is to stop smoking, you need to understand it isn't an easy thing to do. As much as you want to quit, your body will fight you for another cigarette. Remember that your willpower is your only weapon of defense. However, imagine the savings of those $5.00 packs of cigarettes.

Whether the motivation comes from being able to get on the floor and play with children or grandchildren. Not wanting to replace the clothing in your closet because nothing fits anymore. Realizing the job that you felt comfortable with has turned into too much stress. There is no time like the present to choose to put down those holiday cookies, start a budget, and clean-up your resume and send it out to the companies you want to work for. If seeking a degree is on your list, there is a school waiting for you to become a student. Remember, knowledge is power.

My suggestion to make this year different and achievable is to try something outside the box. Start a journal and use it to help achieve personal goals without high expectations. Write accomplishments, fears, and frustrations, but remember to write what makes you smile. Here is where most of us go wrong when it comes to journaling: It does not have to cost you any money. Your phone, iPad, Tablet, or computer has plenty of programs to use for journaling. It can become an act of learning about ourselves. What we think, feel, eat, and even when and if we sleep. It is not an easy process.

Two years ago I was 100 pounds heavier than I am today. I was on high cholesterol medication and a statin for my heart. I could not walk up a flight of steps without breaking into a sweat and gasping for air. I went back to school and achieved a goal I wrote yearly: have a bachelor's degree in English. I know this is not the end of the road for me. I'm enjoying my new life as a healthy, happy, motivated woman.