how to get your life together

How To Feel Like Your Life Is Together, Even If It's A *Checks Notes* Total Mess

Life can be messy, but here is a guide for smooth sailing.

265
young beautiful woman sticking tongue out
Olivia DeLucia

Maybe you don't have it "all together," but faking it and smiling along the way helps time to fly, and so does routines in our lives. Certain habitual practices that became second nature in high school, college or the summer change over time – as do we.

As this change occurs, our lives might feel a bit unorganized, or a bit in shambles. Take moving out of a college dorm, traveling to a new city, or starting a new job – adventure is wonderful, and change is an opportunity to grow; however, we can feel a bit like a mess in a process.

Messes can be beautiful — a wonderful part of unorganized chaos. Yet, some days, when life seems more like a hurricane disaster than some spilled milk, here are some simple ways to "clean up the mess" and make you feel like you have your shit together, even if you don't.

1. Organize what you can

I personally, can't start my day until by bed is clean and tidy. Cleaning as you go, can make you feel a little lighter on days when life can be messy.

Maybe pick up your clothes from last night as you walk to the bathroom that morning. Or, say you're in the midst of packing for a long trip and things are everywhere, take some time and clean what you can, I promise you'll be happy you did.

The little things can make a big difference in your mental state.

2. Don't just clean up your space, but your mind too

Write down what you want to accomplish that day. If unexpected turns happen along the way, ride with them. You'll feel better if you accomplish what you wanted to do, even if surprising complications contribute to your life.

When you have goals, thoughts and ideas written down you'll be amazed how much better you'll feel when you cross them off your list.

3. Sort out all sorts

Maybe start sorting out your Pinterest boards, deleting the abundance of spam emails, organizing Spotify playlists, or whatever little extra things you can do.

If you are driving home from college, organize your emails on the way home. If you're moving or study abroad, create new playlists that make you feel like you have an organized soundtrack for your messy, beautiful life.

4. Appreciate the old, and bring in the new

Remember that new chapters in your life may seem chaotic, especially to us humans, that are creatures of habit. However, keep the old and make the new (one is silver, one is gold, right?)

You can revisit and appreciate old routines and lifestyles while adapting to changes as well.

5. Make lemonade, when given the choice

We have all heard the saying, right? "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Cliche? Maybe. But also true.

Find new ways to challenge yourself and grow. I promise seeing the lemonade as sweet, rather than bitter is much better for you (and your taste buds).