Get Some R&R

As a college student, I know how difficult it can be to keep up your grades, eat healthily, work out, and maintain a social life.

It is so incredibly difficult, and often times, I end up feeling so exhausted I can barely keep my eyes open.

At the end of the day, that high level of exhaustion hinders my abilities to perform well in almost every single way: my grades suffer, I don’t end up eating right or exercising, I forget to make time for friends, and I end up feeling like a complete and total disaster.

It can be difficult to manage the high levels of stress that we face every day. It is a balancing act, but we have to get through it. The worst thing you can do for yourself is to continue pushing through stress without a break here and there. If you overexert yourself, you’ll simply crumble under the pressure.

As someone who deals with anxiety and depression, I can understand the constant conflict between work and relaxation.

If you stop working to relax, you feel like you are getting nothing done, and you are constantly thinking of all of the things that you still have to do. When you are working without taking some time for R and R, it feels like you are about to hit the floor, but in the end, we need to find the balance between work and relaxation.

It has taken me a long time to learn this, but I can honestly that I feel more put together when I take the time to relax and reset. My brain processes better; I am able to think critically and come up with solutions and ideas in my classes; I am more alert and awake during classes; I am able to put my best foot forward.

Instead of walking around with bags under my eyes, I feel refreshed and invigorated.

Everybody is different. What helps me relax might not be the solution for other people. Experimentation is key in discovering what calms you down. There are so many options out there, but the first step is to put in the effort and make the decision to do something for you.

• Drink a hot cup of tea
  • Snuggle up with a good book
  • Take a nap
  • Soak your feet
  • Spend the day in sweatpants
  • Take a bubble bath
  • Massage your shoulders and neck with essential oils
  • Binge watch your favorite show
  • Color in an adult coloring book
  • Write in a journal
  • Write an encouraging letter to yourself
  • Snuggle with an animal (real or stuffed)
  • Wear fluffy socks
  • Listen to piano music
  • Indulge on a piece of chocolate or ice cream
  • Go for a walk
  • Meet up with a friend
  • Get a manicure/pedicure
  • Enjoy nature
  • Clean your room (Believe me: it’s better without the clutter.)
  • Meditate

For those of you who walk around lethargically, dragging your feet across the pavement, take a chance and do something to completely charge your batteries.