Getting Ready For Warm Weather

Getting Ready For Warm Weather

Outdoor spring cleaning checklist.

129
Getting Ready For Warm Weather

March 20th marks the date of this year’s spring equinox, and it’s just around the corner. For all you spring cleaners out there, it’s time to start prepping your home for the warm weather ahead.

Tools

First, take an inventory of your resources.

Throw away any rusty or broken hand tools, and dispose of expired pesticides, fertilizer, seeds, or cleaning agents. Restock anything you’ve had to throw away unless you don’t use those items often. Many stores have rentals that you can use, and you don’t have to spend the extra money or find storage for these items.

For example, pressure washers are really handy for sidewalks and walls, but you don’t necessarily need to own one.

If you do need to purchase new items, pick up some extra buckets and terry towels while you’re at it. They are really useful, and they can be reused for many years as long as they are properly cared for.

Windows

Washing windows is perhaps one of the more satisfying spring cleaning chores. A freshly washed window allows you to view the wonders of spring unencumbered, without having to look through all the layers left by winter.

But before you get to the glass, tend to the shutters, tracks, and screens, and see if any caulking needs to be redone. Check your screens for tears and your shutters for breaks, and repair or replace.

Then, deep clean the panes — don’t mess with paper towels and glass cleaner. Terry cloth and hot water work best, and you can also rent or purchase a steamer.

If you have any large picture windows, put some tasteful stickers on the panes to deter birds from running into the freshly cleaned glass.

Gutters

It is essential to clean out your gutters during your cleaning spree. Gutters are intended to shield your home from water damage. If they get clogged with debris, water backs up and can damage not only the roof, but also the fascia, soffits, and siding.

You can clean them yourself, but be wary of your own limitations—you will need to be up on a ladder, and it may be simpler and safer to have a professional come and do the job. They will be looking for things you may not see and can let you know if you have any shingles that need to be repaired or damage that needs attention.

Lawn and Garden

Before you tackle your lawn and garden, make sure that your lawnmower has gas and is properly tuned up. Consult a gardening store or the internet to see what trees and bushes need pruning, and decide if and when you want to plan any new annuals or perennials. That way, when you get outside, you’ll know what parts of your garden to tend first.

After removing all the dead vegetation, take on the weeds! If you’re using a weed killer, make sure you get one that is biodegradable and non-toxic to animals.

If you’ve got potted plants that need repotting, now is a great time. You can also purchase larger pots and plant a variety of annuals and perennials to spice things up year round. Here in Arizona we are especially fortunate to have different plant species blooming year-round.

Painting

If you need a change in decor, consider painting a room (or a few). It’s a good idea to sweep the walls and ceilings to remove any spider webs first.

Power washing is also smart, especially if you live in areas that get a lot of moisture during the year.

If you’re going to do more than just a touch-up, make sure to grab some painters tape and tarps. And, if you’re going to repaint and change the color of your home, look into neighborhood codes to make sure you don’t have any color restrictions.

Decorations

Finally, check the conditions of all of your exterior equipment, decorations, and furniture. If you have a grill, clean it up and fill up the tanks.

Fountains and water features should be flushed and cleared of all algae and buildup. Statues, art and lawn ornaments should be inspected for breaks or cracks and scrubbed.

It's important to replace and repair, but remember to keep clutter to a minimum so you can enjoy the beauty of your home. This year, when preparing for spring think of ways to make your home eco-friendly.