Get Over Post-Holiday Lows With Warm Winter Welcoming's

Just because I claim to “love” the winter doesn’t mean it’s any easier on me than it is on you

8
Photo: Preston Logan

I never understood the strong hatred we all have for the winter. It’s cold. Big deal. The holidays are definitely a tease towards the colder months ahead, but beneath the snow covered silence, the winter has a world to offer. I’m not bashing warmer months nor am I trying to change your minds. Im here to tell you that it’s not okay to hate something just for its inconvenience. Winter sucks because you make it suck. The same idea goes for Monday’s, but I’ll save that for another time.

If you’re feeling the winter blues, rest assured that I feel them too. For starters, the sun is further away and we’re not getting the same benefits as the summer, but that’s no reason to let the weather dictate your world.

Give yourself something to get excited about.

In the spring we have beautiful flowers, in the summer we go to outdoor concerts, and in the fall we pick pumpkins. The winter gives us horrible roads to drive on and weather so cold we forget we have a soul, but even the summer has storms and sometimes my ice cream melts too fast. There's good and bad in everything so make the good of winter work for you. I like to read outside, but the winter weather isn’t ideal for those kinds of luxuries. Instead, my friend and I are considering a book/wine night. It’s a great way to spend time together while staying warm and talking about interests we share. If that’s not your style, find something you like and make a winter version out of it. Take the misery out of this season by giving yourself a treat.

Embrace the charm.

You can’t just throw on a coat and expect to turn into a winter hero. One of the greatest things about summer fashion is its simplicity. On the other hand, winter requires more effort so don’t skimp out. Stock up on warm layers, pick a cozy scarf, and keep your hot chocolate in hand. Maybe it’s just me or maybe there’s something incredibly charming about facing an intense chill in a big coat and the layers underneath.

Prepare for the warmer months ahead.

If you’re really struggling with this whole winter thing, then you need to try a whole lot harder. No matter how amazing or how morbid, nothing stays the same. You can turn that thought into a closer reality by planning for the warmer months ahead. Find new spots you’d like to explore or read up on a new hobby you want to try. Once winter ends, you’ll be a pro at the history of rock climbing and now it’ll be time to put your knowledge to the test.

Get closer to yourself.

Last but not least, get closer to your self. There are many outdoor wonders to experience during the winter, but when the sun goes down and the cold air shines through the night you find growth through the stillness of winter. Heck, if the animals are out there hibernating, then you should too. Light a candle, sip on some tea, and reflect on the day. Hibernate this winter and come this spring you are bound to explode.

There are additional things I could suggest, but the point is to notice the reason behind your winter blues and take care of them. With major temperature drops and decreased sunlight, make something more out of your usual time watching television or surfing the web.