Get A Dose Of This Band

Get A Dose Of This Band And You’ll Be Glad You Did

Bands with meaning always find their way into my heart.

21
Designed and Created by Alex Leff

Concerts are the holy grail of music. While most go to shows for the headlining band, there's always the off chance that you're going to walk away from the show with a new band added to your list of discoveries. At least this is how it works for me. What I've found is that while the main performer is amazing, so are the openers.

On November 8th, I attended a show in my local city and one of the three openers caught my attention more than the others. That's not to say I won't be following these other bands because I will, however, I couldn't help but find myself bopping along to a band called Dose. This band stood out from the other bands in the best way.

Who is Dose?

Does [formerly known as Dose of Adolesence] are from Southern California, with friends Assuming We Survive. Brothers Jimmy (lead vocalist)) and Timmy (lead guitar) Brown are bringing a new sound to the music scene. The duo started out as a pop-rock band and after much time, growth and development they have evolved in the unique genre of trap rock.

What makes Does different?

While bands often use music as a form of self-expression and all have things that differentiate them from others. One thing that sets Dose apart is the genre and way they're able to combine sounds to create something new. The best way to describe their vibe would be if hip-hop meets rock and blended into a smooth jam. While that may sound like an unconventional mashup, the Brown brothers have been able to create the perfect blend of both genres and creating something new. It's a fresh, new and gratifying tone that will have listeners jamming out and dancing.

In addition to the uniqueness of the band's vibe, another thing I found was the meanings behind the songs and lyrics. I know that artists use their life experiences and personal feelings as a form of inspiration for songwriting, but there is something pure and extra meaningful surrounding the song titles and lyrics in Dose's debut album On3. With tracks such as Mojo Risin', 'God Complex', 'On Top of The World' and 'Bounce Back' you can already tell that there is a deep connection between artist and album.

While the track titles give you a glimpse of the song, the lyrics speak for themselves and give listeners a deeper look into the mind of the band.

'God Complex' is a song about how you can always put the past behind you.

"I've got a war going on inside my mind. In my dreams, I die a thousand times. Take the easy way out or do what's right is it a God Complex or is it mine?... Rewrite your own history. This won't get the best of me."

To me, these lyrics mean you can always be at a mental crossroads where doing the right thing isn't always the simplest option. We often to drift towards deciding to make it easy at that moment without thinking about the consequences until later. Despite making these mistakes, we shouldn't let them define us. People can change and it's ok if you need help to get to that point. It means you're willing to accept your faults and work on making every day going forward better than the last.

Assuming We Survive and Dose have a special friendship as both bands are from the same region of Southern California and have been supporting each other since day one. 'On Top of The World' is a way of saying thank you [to Assuming We Survive] for all of their support as well as allowing Dose to join them on tour in both the past and present.

While I've heard plenty of other bands cover difficult and personal topics that run deep. There was something different about Dose that made these songs extra meaningful.

Final Thoughts:

I think Dose does a great job telling the audience their story. I'm glad I was fortunate to see this band. They were energetic, entertaining and lively. I wasn't expecting to like their music as much as I did as I'm not a hip-hop fan nor do I know what trap music is, however, I couldn't stop dancing along and enjoying their set.

I love finding new bands and those that have meaning always find a place into my heart. I highly respect bands and artists who put raw emotion and feelings into their work. They're willing to be transparent with their listeners as well as use their feelings and past predictions as a message that nobody is or has to be alone. Chances are someone has experienced the something if not something similar. For me, I can find meaning in different ways. So while I can't always relate in the same exact way, I still feel like there is relevance in a different way than initially intended.

10/10 I highly recommend giving Dose a listen, they might surprise you as the did for me.