Why Naomi Clark, Blair Waldorf, And Brooke Davis Are the Kind Of Women I Want To Be

“Sometimes my heart aches at how my life has turned out, in a good way. It doesn’t mean there haven’t been hardships, there have been but I’m here and here is good.” ~Brooke Davis

4046
tumblr

Unless you have been living under a rock for the past ten years then you have probably watched and re-watched (if you are like me) countless episodes of "Gossip Girl," "90210," and "One Tree Hill." When a series ended, it was like losing a best friend. When you watched these shows, I’m sure everyone was initially drawn to be part of team Serena, Annie, and Peyton.

They were the good girls, the one everyone wanted to be friends with because they charmed us with their kindness. However, when I spent countless hours during a Netflix binge watching episodes after episode, I found myself wanting to be on team Blair, Naomi, and Brooke. These were the girls who seemed to be the ones scheming and conniving and all over the place at all times. Blair explained the differences between herself and Serena when she said, "I'm tired of looking like Darth Vader next to Sunshine Barbie." So, why was I attracted to these leading ladies?

The only way to explain why Naomi, Blair, and Brooke are the kinds of women that I want to be is by one word, DIVA.

Normally, the word diva is negative. It is someone who is hard to deal with or is inconsiderate, but these girls taught me another meaning to the word diva. To me, a diva is someone who NEVER apologizes for who they are and what they believe in regardless of how others react. It is someone who is confident in themselves even when no one else is, and someone who chooses to dance and twirl over life’s speed bumps. Best said by Naomi Clark “I don't have to care what you or anyone else thinks because I am good enough exactly as I am.” These girls are bold and fierce at all times. Basically, they RUN things.

Naomi, Blair, and Brooke teach us that it is okay to love ourselves more than anything else, and to know our worth because we deserve nothing but the best. Once Blair gave us this motto to live by “I have to present myself as a crown jewel, surrounded by other, smaller, slightly flawed gems -- but quality stones, nonetheless.”

I have come to believe that these kinds of divas are the best kind of friends to have. They have your back forever as long as you have theirs. Also, they are not someone you want to be on their bad side.

You have to admit that every snappy comment or comeback that came out of their mouths left us all wondering if we should be afraid or just in complete awe of their wittiness and sass. All I know is that I can think of about ten times in my life that I would have wanted any of them to have my back when an ex-boyfriend hurt me but they would be there to remind me that no one can interrupt my happiness.

We cannot forget the character growth that they all underwent. For example cheerleading, and parties and, of course, boys meant more than anything else in high school. I hate to say it but I can I relate to that. One of my favorite quotes by Brooke Davis was when the guidance counselor asked her what her plans were for after high school; she responded “Uh... I have cheerleading practice?”

They didn’t find their passion or calling until years later. We look at these girls and think they have it all planned out, but in reality they didn’t plan past next weekend’s party. They all struggle to find who they are and discover what they are meant to be.

The most important thing that I have learned from my favorite divas is that is it OK to not be OK. They admit that even the best fall down but to continue to be fearless. They show us that we have to make things happen for ourselves. Blair put it best herself “Destiny is for losers, it’s just a stupid excuse to wait for things to happen instead of making them happen.”

So with that said boldly place your crown on your head and continue to love yourself and do not apologize for it. Always be a good friend, set your goals high, and most importantly never stop being a diva.