The Generation Scared Of Confrontation

The Generation Scared Of Confrontation

A rant about people being scared to speak the truth.

19
The Generation Scared Of Confrontation
Google

We are the generation of trying to hide our very own emotions. We get scared of talking about how we feel in person and feel the need to text it or even Snapchat it. It's actually kind of sad that no one wants to be open about how they truly feel anymore. I'm not only referring to feelings about relationships. From the perspective of a graduating senior in high school, relationships are the last thing on my mind. This would be extremely boring and depressing to read if we just focused on relationships the whole time, c'mon now.

We all love to lie to ourselves. Whether we realize it or not, we lie to ourselves, sometimes even more often than we lie to others. You're personally lying to yourself right now if you say you don't. We tend to laugh our emotions away when someone or something goes wrong or not as we planned. I'm not going to pretend I don't do it. If we're being honest, I deserve an Oscar for how many times I have tried to laugh a situation away just to avoid the awkward tension that would occur. We can only avoid our emotions for so long until it all builds up and we explode like a lava cake.

Of course, I'm using a food analogy in this situation, shocker. Think of it like this: your emotions are the inside of the delicious cake. You don't want to ruin the cake because you know you must post an artsy picture of it on Instagram (priorities), but how else will you eat it? You slowly start to cut into it and BAM. All of the chocolate falls out just like the emotions that you are so embarrassed and afraid of. Let's just pretend that made sense and move on.

Some people are just better at hiding how they feel than others, which is a blessing and a curse. This generation's way of communicating is all from behind a screen. Our way of getting our emotions out to the world is through a tweet. Peoples' way of flirting is now by liking a post. Technology has replaced our emotions and now no one knows how to deal with confrontation. You can't even have a serious conversation over text without everything you say being screenshotted and shown to other people. People don't even go out to dinner without being on their phones and sitting in complete silence. We need to start having face-to-face interaction again. Let's bring emotions back to life. Saying something over text and saying it in person are completely different. We are so scared that we will be put on the spot in person and say the wrong thing. Let's start telling people how we feel and be able to do it in person. Don't let the lava cake of life explode right in front of your eyes.