Gender Roles Are F*cking Important

Alright. So you're probably already expecting to hate this article... and me. But first, let me tell you why gender roles are so f*cking important.

Equality is great, it is. But, as my sophomore English teacher always said, fair and equal are not the same.

You might have seen a lot of posts about, "My husband is going to be helping me with dishes. I don't care. There will be equality in our workload." Equality, yes. Equity, no. Even though we live in a world where everyone wants to have equality, sometimes it is more helpful to have equity. Truly, I blame the rising amount of divorce on everyone's sense of entitlement and "equality".

Take my parents for example. They were happily married for approximately 18 years before my mom was widowed. Their marriage lasted until death did them part, as intended. My mom was the typical stay-at-home mom. She cooked, cleaned, watched the kids -- mom things. My dad worked as a mechanic, so he spent a lot of the time in the garage.

So my mom chased kids all day while my dad worked and made the money. When he came home from work, my mom would usually either be making supper or have it ready. No, my dad wasn't that jerk who came home feeling entitled to find a gourmet meal on the table, either. That is unhealthy and unloving.

I recently spoke to my mom about it and she said if she was ever really stressed out from a bad day, my dad would help her make supper. However, if my mom were to demand that he make supper and do the dishes, he wouldn't have put up with it -- deservedly so.

Let's face it. Men and women are different. They have different biology. While it may seem "sexist" and "misogynistic" to say that, it's factual. Women are more fit to do housework than hard outside labor. Yes, everyone is different, so you always have to do what works best in your relationship, but gender roles are very fair and very reasonable. I mean yeah, dishes suck, but I'd rather do the dishes than have to take the trash out to the burn pile and ignite it. Why? My physique isn't made for that.

Of course I would help out to the best of my ability if my future spouse needed help with one of his chores -- but it would be out of love. You can bet that if your husband ever tried to force you to go outside and change the oil in your own car because it's "fair", you'd have a cow. So, don't act like your significant other has to help you with the dishes or cooking.

Assigning duties instead of taking turns with the same duties really does have its pros. Divide your workload the fair way, not the equal way.