The Beach Life Experience

The Beach Life Experience

What's it like living in a gated community by the water.

13
The Beach Life Experience
impressiveinteriordesign

We all hear in rap and hip-hop songs lyrics about gated communities and we probably think of Los Angeles, but what about gated communities in New York...on a beach? Here's a list of ten things to know if you were to ever live in a gated community near the ocean.

1. You need a key card to open every gate.

You would think that once you get into the community that you have access to everything, but you don't. There are many different gates that lead to other parts of the community, even if it looks so small. It's annoying enough to have to keep putting in your key card to your own gate, but you have to put it through every single one.

2. Everybody knows everybody.

Everyone knows you since you were born and probably has known your family for many years. They know everything about you and you pretty much have to have a good reputation or everyone will talk about you. Sometimes it's nice having everyone know everyone, but other times you might wish no one knew you at all.

3. You're still cool with your childhood friends.

Since you live in a such a small gated community, everyone has their own clique. These are the kids that you will be friends with for the rest of your lives and your children will grow up together as well. It's like having a second family because everyone looks out for one another. You may have close friends that you go to school with, and people who don't live in your community, but some of those friendships will drift apart. The ones you grew up with never will.

4. Everyone owns a boat.

If you have a house on the beach, and especially the bay, then you own a boat. When the summer months come, you know that everyone puts their boats back in the water.

5. Fishing and drinking are a team sport.

Whether it be before the summer months arrive or when they are here, you can always find someone fishing with a beer in their hands. As they say, you can't live on a beach and not fish.

6. It's a ghost town in the winter.

Most people only live here during the summer months, so during the winter it can get really boring. It's also ten degrees colder on the beach then anywhere else, so barely anyone goes out. It's a good thing you have all those friends that you grew up with to keep you sane during the winter.

7. If you don't drive, you have a problem.

It's highly impossible to live in a gated community and not drive because there is no public transportation going in and out of the community. The nearest bus is two miles away, so when it comes down to hitching rides or getting your license, you're gonna want your license.

8. Mostly, every guy you know surfs.

How can you live on a beach and not at least try surfing? You'd be surprised how many guys will jump into a wet suit and go surfing.

9. You can't just move here whenever you want.

You need at least three letters of recommendation from different people if you want to buy your house, even if you lived here for your entire life. I would say it makes sense if you've never lived here, but if you have it gets annoying once in comes down to buying a house of your own.

10. Everyone always wants to be at your house during the summer.

Who doesn't dream of beach parties during the summer, right? Your house is the place to be and all of your friends are jealous that this is your life.