Gamma Phi Beta Hosts 'Have A Heart'

Gamma Phi Beta Hosts 'Have A Heart'

7
Gamma Phi Beta Hosts 'Have A Heart'

On February 13th, USC's Gamma Phi Beta hosted their annual Have a Heart philanthropy.

From 5:30 to 7:30p.m., the sorority served a $5 all you can eat buffet in their dining room. You could choose from a Mexican smorgasbord of taquitos, burritos, rice, beans, guacamole, sour cream, chips, and salsa.

And, best of all, there was an entire table dedicated to dessert.

Actually best of all was the abundance of gorgeous women in Gamma Phi Beta throughout dinner.

They took the extra effort to dress up, elaborately decorate the dining room (decked out with strainers and balloons in the shape of hearts), and even placed a giant cut-out of their letters specifically to advertise for the event.

Beyond the actual meal, the background of Gamma Phi Beta's Have a Heart philanthropy is extremely interesting. Although the sorority had traditionally donated all of the philanthropy's proceeds to Troy Camp, for the past two years they have equally shared the proceeds with The Amanda McPherson Foundation.

The primary reason for this shift was Krista McPherson joining the sorority two years ago.

The story of The Amanda McPherson Foundation is that in December of 2003, Krista's little sister, Amanda, passed away at the age of 8.

Amanda was born with Velo-Cardio Facial Syndrome. The disorder typically creates learning disabilities, skin conditions, and speaking problems, but Amanda's case was so severe that she needed a heart transplant at birth.

As a result, her heart was permanently weak. When she was 8, this vulnerability lead to her passing away when a virus affected her heart.

Amazingly, when Krista's and Amanda's parents decided to start a foundation to help other children suffering from the same disorder, there was an overwhelming amount of support.

The Foundation's first project not only created a brochure explaining the symptoms of Velo-Cardio Facial Syndrome, but distributed these brochures worldwide, also.

The influence of The Amanda McPherson Foundation can be felt in every “Amanda's Corner” spread through the Ventura counties. This Corner provides a place for educators to submit grant proposals for the special needs of the kids in their care. They are provided a centralized resource for the funding they need to properly guide these otherwise underserved children.

Two outstanding projects the Foundation completed were a $300,000 facility for a girl's softball league and a baseball field with a rubberized infield for special needs kids. In other words, the Foundation coated all the parts of a baseball field that are normally dirt with a layer of flat rubber to serve the kids in wheel chairs.

Last year, Gamma Phi Beta's Have a Heart Philanthropy raised $1,000 for the Foundation and another $1,000 for Troy Camp. The sorority's philanthropic efforts are contributing to the empowerment of special needs kids everywhere, which is an unfortunately rare but very valuable and important contribution to make.