Gaming Is Not a Boys Club

Gaming Is Not a Boys Club

Gamers are more accepting than you may think.

19
Gaming Is Not a Boys Club
Wallpaper Abyss

The stereotypical gamer is usually depicted as fat, lazy male who is living in his mother’s basement and likes to troll the “n00bs”. He is a man-child, someone who will never truly grow up and get a job. He is rude, aggressive, and immature. He is anti-social, and likes to act if he is better than other people. This stereotype is extremely outdated, and needs to be stopped by both gamers and non-gamers. This depiction may represent some gamers, but definitely not the majority. Gaming has become much more inclusive in the past ten or so years, and women are welcomed into gaming communities. I am a female, and my gender has never come up as a way to put down how I play, nor has anyone gone easy on me because I’m a female.

Most people in the gaming community are very inclusive, and wish to share their knowledge with a newcomer. When I attended my first Smash Bros Tournament, after I played a friendly match before the tournament started, a fellow gamer told me to down-smash more while playing as Princess Peach. Peach’s down-smash is a very powerful move (some think is overpowered, and is the subject of debate in many forums) that can send an opponent flying off the stage when they have had a certain amount of damage inflicted. My opponent didn’t have to give me that advice, which could have given me the upper hand. Instead, he chose to try to nurture the growth of his community, and I don’t think I’ll ever forget it.

Another example, I have been playing Dungeons & Dragons for about a month now and am still getting used to the mechanics of the game. When I first started playing, I was pretty unprepared, and anxious that I wouldn’t be able to play without the equipment. I’m happy to say that I was wrong. People have lent me dice, figurines, handbooks, looked up the price of a weapon for me, helped me modify my character, and many other things. These are people who have a passion for something that isn’t viewed very positively outside of the gaming community, and they want to educate newcomers, not exclude. Gaming isn’t a boys club, or an elitist activity. Anyone can join a game like Dungeons & Dragons, because even when you come up short, people will (usually) help you. Players both male and female gave me advice, such as what weapon to use, or how to optimize my character.

Joining a community that thrives on learning, creativity, and having fun is an awesome thing. Whether it’s a video game like Smash Bros. or a tabletop role-playing game like Dungeons & Dragons, most gamers in these communities are more than willing to help grow the interests of new players, whether it’s by looking something up in the Player’s Handbook, or teaching them difficult game mechanics.

I know that someday I will be a seasoned player, and someone may be in need of help, or advice. It’s only right to pay it forward, and to continue the growth of the community that I’m in. I’m proud to call myself a gamer.