20 Things To Do On A Friday Night That Are So Much Cooler, And A Lot More Fun,​ Than Partying

You don’t need to go out partying and drinking in order to have fun in college.

245
The semester literally just started here at CSU and colleges all around the country. And with the start of school comes a bunch of people fresh out of high school with new found freedom, ready to let loose and do whatever they want to.

Now, it's no secret that staying in a dorm over the weekend can be a major bore. I mean, Cleveland State's campus basically shuts down, since a lot of the students commute. Seriously, the only places on campus open are basically Chili's and the Viking Marketplace, our dining hall/cafeteria/whatever you want to call it.

Everybody likes to go out and have fun. Some people, as soon as Friday rolls around, decide to go out and party. If going out and getting drunk at some party is something that you find entertaining, then to each their own. It's your life, and I firmly believe that everyone should live their life the way that they want to.

But if you're like me and don't drink, as well as hate being in noisy, crowded places with a bunch of random strangers (that's what I imagine a party is like, but I really don't know because I have never been to one), don't think that you have to be stuck in the dorm, bored out of your mind with nothing to do.

There's so many better things to do than kill your brain cells. Things that are more productive, a whole lot cooler, super fun, and — most importantly — completely legal (as opposed to underage drinking). In fact, here are 20 things that are so much better than going to a party.

1. Reading a book

Reading is an adventure. You can travel literally anywhere using your imagination. Also, it’s an excellent way to exercise your brain.

2. Binge watch your favorite show

Been so swamped down with homework and tests and work and life in general that you haven’t had time to catch up on your shows? Well, now’s the perfect time to do that! You have all evening Friday night!

3. Do your homework

I know, I know. Homework on a Friday night, ugh! But, if you do your homework Friday night, then you don't have to worry about it for the rest of the weekend. You can work or go have fun without having that added pressure on your shoulders. And making your life easier is always a win.

4. Color

It’s just so relaxing and a great way to entertain yourself for a few hours. (Those adult coloring books are just *slightly* more complex than the Disney Princess coloring book your mom found at Walmart when you were five.)

5. Paint your nails

It can take hours for your nails to completely dry, so you can’t do them in the middle of the week; otherwise, they’ll get all smudged and messed up. Friday’s the perfect time to put on some new nail polish and then binge your shows or something while they dry.

6. Study for your classes

You are paying thousands of dollars for an education. Why would you squander it? You don't have to spend, like, five hours staring at your chemistry textbook, but at least make note cards or a study guide or something. The more studying you do ahead of time, then you're less likely to pull an all nighter, which leads to better grades.

7. Clean your apartment/dorm

As with doing your homework, if you clean Friday night, then you don’t have to worry about it the rest of the weekend. Also, you get the satisfaction of having a nice, clean living space.

8. Do your laundry

If you have easy access to a washer and dryer, this is probably the easiest thing for you to do. You can go do something else while you’re waiting for your laundry to get done.

9. Go work out

You don’t have to go full body builder and workout until you’re super ripped, but your body does need some exercise. Even if it’s just climbing up and down the stairs. (Fellow Vikings living in Fenn, I recommend going up to the 19th floor and back down; it’s a great workout).

10. Play video games

Despite what the media and old people who don’t understand them say, video games are not bad for your health in moderation (everything’s bad if used/done/consumed in excess). In fact, there’s actually benefits to playing them, but that’s another topic for another time. So, go and battle your friends in “Fortnite” or start a new file on one of “The Legend of Zelda” games.

11. Sleep!

Sleep is precious, and as a college student, you don’t get enough of it. Why go out and kill your brain cells when you can get some much needed shut-eye?

12. Call your mom

Seriously, your mom's probably worried about you. Call her.

13. Watch a movie

Put a bag of microwaveable popcorn in the microwave (follow the directions and DO NOT just hit the popcorn button and leave it - nobody will be happy during the ensuing fire drill if you do) and pop in your favorite movie (or look it up on Netflix, I guess).

14. Plan a weekend adventure*

If you don't have to work, then you have the whole entire weekend to go out and explore (especially when you're in a big city like Cleveland). So sit down and figure out where you're going to go, how much it's going to cost, and what you're going to do. (*Disclaimer, do not follow Darkwing Duck's advice and do something dangerous; stay safe, pay attention, and trust your gut.)

15. Go to a college sporting event

There’s bound to be a basketball game or a volleyball game or something. Deck yourself out in your school’s apparel and go cheer on your team!

16. Listen to music

Put on your favorite tunes and just relax. Dance or sing to them or have them playing while you clean or something.

17. Cuddle with your pet (if you’re not in the dorms because no pets allowed there)

Emily Motta

That is the face of someone who wants to be cuddled. How could anyone say no to that sweet face? I bet if you look at your own pets, they’re begging for cuddles too. Don’t disappoint them!

18. Join an awesome community of creators and write about what you’re passionate about

I hear Odyssey at Cleveland State University is looking for more fellow Vikings to join our amazing team... Oh, no. How did this random link to apply get here?

19. Fill out your planner for next week

There's nothing worse than wandering what you're forgetting to do. And keeping track of when you have to work, what assignments to complete, and when to go to class can be a huge pain. So save yourself a headache and plot your next week out.

20. Take a nice, relaxing bath

Sometimes, all you need a nice, warm bath to unwind and destress. Taking care of yourself is super important.

There are literally thousands of other things that you can go out and do. These are just a few of them.

You can still have a good time in college and find things to do without partying. Choosing to stay in or do something else doesn't mean that you're not having any fun.

Whatever you decide to do on the weekend, the most important thing is to make sure that you are safe. If you're going out, make sure you let a friend or a family member know where you are and who you're with. Always be aware of your surroundings and trust your gut. If you don't feel safe somewhere — even if it seems fine, leave. There's a reason that you're feeling uneasy.

Whatever you decide to do, it's your choice. But don't let anyone pressure you into doing something that you don't want to. And don't let them convince you that drinking and partying is an inevitable part of the “college experience" — because it's not.