From The Girl Who Is Comfortable In Her Own Skin

I am not even close to perfect, but I am good enough for me.
37

Lately, on social media, there has been a lot of body negativity floating around. From girls being too skinny, too thick, not curvy enough, too curvy, wrong skin color, etc., the negativity is extreme. And it's ridiculous. We have come so far in society, yet are so ancient in our standards of what we expect people to be. No one is perfect, period. There should be no standards, period — because each and every one of us was created differently.

Social media is the worst contributor to this negativity. It breeds it. You see celebrities on Instagram with a million likes and the constant repeat of the comment "bod goals." But most of that isn't even real. It is photo editing apps, filters or plastic surgery. And why are they goals? Why isn't the girl next door 'bod goals'? Why does everyone have this idea of what people are supposed to look like?

I'm done. I'm done comparing myself to others. I'm done thinking I'm not tan enough, or curvy enough, or in shape enough, or "perfect" like some others girls because that is not realistic. I'm 5'7, 116, with naturally dirty blonde, light brown hair, freckles, small curves and am a little "bony." I have scars from barrel racing, and scars from endometriosis. I have a messed up pupil from an eye injury. I have a unibrow when not kept after with tweezers. I don't have perfect teeth, even after braces. I have a pimple every now and then. I am not perfect. Not even close. But that is okay.

I am okay with myself. I don't have to have the curves of Kylie Jenner. I don't have to have the looks of Selena Gomez, Jennifer Anniston or Adriana Lima. They are all beautiful, yes, but I don't have to look like them to be my own kind of beautiful. And neither does any other girl on this planet. Or guy for that matter. We are all our own person and we were meant to be that way. The world would be horribly boring if everyone was the same.

SEE ALSO: The Dangers Of Comparison On Social Media

I am comfortable in my own skin. I will wear eye shadow even though it draws attention to my odd shaped pupil. I will wear shorts or a swimsuit even though they show the scars on my leg or my abdomen. I'll accept my unibrow when I don't have time to go get it fixed by my stylist (thanks, Stevie). I'll smile in pictures because my teeth are good enough for me. I don't need anyone's approval. I have my own approval. I am okay with all my flaws and who I am and that is all that matters.

My prayer for this world is that one day all these "standards" will be thrown out the window, and everyone will be comfortable in their own skin.