From The Conservative Christian Millennial Who Has The Right To Complain
Politics

Why why would I not?

102
Red Alert Politics

I recently saw a " stop complaining about being a conservative Christian millennial " post while scrolling through social media.

My first reaction was not anger. I was confused. I was confused why someone who is not a conservative Christian millennial had the credibility to assume what it is like to actually be one.

Disclaimer: After attending my first year of college at a large university, I can say that it is not easy identifying as a conservative Christian millennial, by any means. However, I am not saying that it is easy not to be one either. I am just speaking from the perspective of one.

With that being said, here is why.

My first question is, why do we not have the right to complain if those who identify differently have the right to complain about their circumstances?

In all honesty, I have not spoken to a liberal who has not complained about having a Republican president, specifically Donald Trump, post our most recent election.

My second question is, why can we not complain if we are being treated unfairly?

I understand that not all conservative Christian millennials are being treated unfairly, but I can say first hand that I was mistreated by a number of people, my age and older, during and after the election. With that being said, I was not going to sit back and take it. I felt that I had the right to stand for what I believe in and voted for as well as express my disappointment in the way that others treated me because of it.

My third question is, why does being a conservative Christian millennial give others the right to assume who we are?

The most hurtful thing that I experienced was the assumptions that others made about myself. Here are a few of those:

1. "You are racist"

2. "You are homophobic"

3. "You are a hypocrite because you fight for unborn lives but support killing others via the death penalty and gun rights"

4. "You don't care about the poor"

5. "You don't have a heart for others because you don't support all government aid"

6. "You are privileged"

7. "You don't know what it's like to struggle"

8. "You claim to be a Christian but don't support helping others"

9. "You don't support science"

Although these are a few examples of comments that I received myself, I am not stating that all of those that identify differently from me made or make these assumptions. However, I can say that from my personal beliefs, these were false accusations.

My final thought is, why can we not believe what we believe and have the right to express that?

I feel that if the election would have gone the other way, yes, I would have been upset but not to the point of defining all those who voted the other way as "said titles" or felt that I could mistreat them and not let them have the right to stand up to me. The vote I cast does not mean that I am who I voted for. It does not mean that I am defined by the Republican party. It does not mean that I am like all others who made the same vote as myself. I am my own person. I may be a "conservative Christian millennial", but I am my own definition of that. I believe what I believe, just as we all have the right to, and I express that by my own will.

I know that this article was a bit other than light-hearted, but I just wanted to speak from my heart about what it has actually been like to be a "Conservative Christian Millennial" from my own experience during and after this most recent election.

Thanks for letting me share my thoughts and for reading them.