11 Tips For Finding The Perfect Job After Graduation

Going from college to career

14
U.S. News

The end is almost near.

Graduation, that is.

If you’re a freshman in college, you’re probably not too concerned with what comes after the cap and gown purchase. But for all those seniors out there taking those final final exams, and turning in those all-nighters and solo cups for a business suit, you’re crossing a finish line to rival all finish lines.

It’s been four years, four long years, and it’s time to do that thing you’ve been training to do since your first day as a freshman.

It’s time to get a job.

Following the “Great Recession” of 2008, the job market hasn’t been too kind to college grads. Millennials paid the price for years of excessive government spending, but over the last several years things have been looking up.

All you wide-eyed degree-holders – knee-deep in old textbooks and neck-deep in student loans – have a bright future if you take the right steps to get there.

So, if your New Year's resolution was to find a good job with a good salary by September, without having to pound the pavement too ruthlessly, here are some tips to follow along the way.

1. Don’t Be Intimidated.

There’s going to be tons of pressure from family, friends, partners and from the other 199 people you don’t know in your graduating class. Don’t let the thought of the future scare you out of trying in the present.

2. Stay Motivated.

There’s always waiting around for Adam Levine to haphazardly discover you at a bagel stand on Main Street, USA, but until that happens there’s no “The Voice” for you.

Opportunities have a way of presenting themselves to those who go out and look for them. To find opportunities you have to find your own voice, so don’t be a lazy hunter.

3. Ask and You Shall Receive.

One of the best ways to find opportunities is to talk to people with connections to other people, companies or organizations that are hiring workers in your field with your kind of experience.

Talk to professors, administrators, heads of your major department (i.e. Marketing majors should talk to the University’s Department of Marketing and Sales), friends with similar career goals or even a campus counselor.

4. Create a Strong Résumé.

If you’re a newbie to the act of “résumé-ing” and have absolutely no idea what your special skills are, just Google it! There are plenty of résumé templates out there to help guide you along your journey.

Almost any job you apply for will require a résumé, references and sometimes a cover letter. Try RésuméGenius.com for some unique ideas on structuring a clean résumé.

5. You’ve Got the Advantage.

One might think employers want older, more experienced employees. Well, think again.

A 2014 study by Upwork found that Millennials were quickly becoming the largest and most successful generation in the workforce.

The study showed that Millennials were more creative, more adaptable and more open to change than Generation X’s. So embrace your youth! Don’t let it be a roadblock.

6. Go Online. Professionally.

If you haven’t already, create a LinkedIn profile. It’s a great way to build connections in the workplace and to make yourself known to future employers.

7. Blog.

Creating a personal or professional online presence can help employers get a better sense of who you are and what kind of work you do, creatively or otherwise.

There are tons of free blog sites out there that are easy to set up, easy to use, and easy to promote. Here are just a few of the best starter blog sites:

• Wordpress
  • Tumblr
  • Wix
  • Weebly
  • Blogger
  • Tinypress

8. Intern.

If you're looking to take you career for a test run, it might be best to start with an internship.

9. Keep an Open Mind.

Don't ignore a job opening just because it's not the job. Working an imperfect position for a little while might lead to better options later on. Keep your hopes high and your eyes open!

10. Hope for the Best, but Expect Closed Doors.

Reaching dead ends is normal and expected when job hunting. Don’t give up! With enough optimism and perseverance, the right job will come your way at the right time…and hopefully with the right benefits.

11. Enjoy Yourself.

It’s a scary and an amazing time in life. Don’t let the daunting road ahead detour you from soaking up the excitement of the here and now. You’ve got the rest of your life to stress, so take a moment to bask in the end zone.

Accept your diploma with confidence and pride, and, remember: you are not defined by what you do but by who you are.

Be yourself and you’ll never work a day in your life.