A Friendship Unlike Any Other

A Friendship Unlike Any Other

The relationship I have with people at college is unlike any I have experienced before.

91
A Friendship Unlike Any Other

I am lucky enough to say I have had some pretty incredible friends. They consist of a few childhood friends I still stay in touch with and a handful from high school who made an impact. I love them very much, but there is something very unique about the people I have met at college. There are a few things that contribute to why these people have become so important to me in such a short amount of time.

One year ago I knew where I was going to school, but I had very little idea of what it would really be like. I had friends who had gone off to college and I had heard stories from them, therefore spending most of my summer thinking about what the next chapter of my life would be. So when move-in day finally arrived, I could hardly believe I had actually made it. I was so nervous on the drive to school, even putting all my brand-new things away was a blur. Next thing I knew, my family was gone and I was on my own for the very first time. The people I met on my dorm floor were in the exact same position, none of us had friends or a touch stone in this city. They were just kind of there and I will be forever grateful that they were.

We spent time getting to know each other, but if you come home to the same people every night, that process escalates pretty quickly. It is like coming home to your family, but instead it’s a group of teenagers you have known for a few months. They soon became my comfort zone and my close friends. I always had someone to go get dinner with, to go workout with, or watch a movie with when I didn’t have very much homework. They would party with me, do homework with me, and just sit around with me if I didn’t want to sit around by myself. By semester break, I finally felt like I had some real friends at school.

The friends you make in college will be unlike any other relationships you have had before. They will come to be your best friends and your family. They will play outside with you, walk with you to the drug store, and let you borrow their sweatshirts. If you have not gone away for college, you are truly missing out. If you have, you understand the incredible diversity of personalities and viewpoints you come across. They shape your daily life so leaving them is an extremely strange feeling. I am looking forward to spending three more years making even more incomparable relationships. I am also looking forward to being friends with these freshman friends for the rest of my life. The level of comfort you reach and the amount of memories you make with these people is incomparable. If you are heading into your first year of college, don’t worry about making friends. You don’t need to go out looking for them, the rights ones will find you.