To The Friends Who've Always Been There

To The Friends Who've Always Been There

We weren't kidding when we said "best friends forever."
11

I am so lucky for so many reasons, but a few of the things I feel truly blessed for are my best friends who I have been lucky to know since I was a child.

I met my two best friends when I was 3 years old in preschool, and we have been a part of each other's lives ever since. We went to school together all the way until graduation, and we remain in touch while living hundreds of miles away from each other at college. We have a group chat we talk in daily, and we make a huge effort to see each other every break we're home.

Having a friend (let alone multiple friends) who have known me since I was barely a sentient human being is something I thank God for every day. Our memories go all the way back. I remember walking around for Halloween together almost every single year. I remember bike riding around town and getting Slurpee's at the 7-11 every day in the summertime. I remember watching the Fourth of July fireworks with them every year. From them coming with me the day I got my braces off, to attempting to bury a time capsule when were 14 (and have yet to ever finding it again), to helping each other pick our prom dresses (and prom dates), to texting each other at 2 a.m. from our college dorms asking for advice because there are some things only the people who have known you since "forever" can understand, I've been so unbelievably lucky to have them.

We've obviously had our fair share of issues. We've fought over elementary school talent shows, stolen Webkinz accounts, boyfriend drama and so on. We've gone months without talking, and we were not always on the same page with what we wanted. But we always find our way back to each other, because that's what you do when you really love each other.

Old friends understand you on a level other people can't. They've seen you through every stage of your life. We've seen each other's painful, awkward stages. We've experienced each other's mistakes and failures. We've seen each other fall in love and have our hearts broken for the first time and every time after that. Not only do we know each other's histories, we've lived through them together. We are connected in a way that really can't be replicated or replaced.

There is a level of comfort and security together. I went six months without seeing one of my best friends, and when we finally got together, it was like no time had passed at all. We still laugh as hard together as we did when we would see each other every day in math class. I know we will live separate lives, but I also know we will make time to see each other and it will still feel the same. Our friendship doesn't have boundaries on time or distance. They are some of my best confidants. They support me even when I'm making a mistake, they offer me the best advice and they give me reassurance all around.

It's rare to find friends who you can trust, laugh with and feel 100% comfortable to be yourself with, and I'm so lucky to have had them my entire life. Life is full of unexpected and unknown things, but I'm so glad I know I'll always have my oldest and best friends in my life to help me out (and make me laugh until I cry) along the way.