Thank you friends

To The Friends That Give Me Room To Be Myself

You're awesome.

53
https://www.pexels.com/photo/two-women-with-man-hugging-by-the-sea-936018/

How do you feel about clingy people? I've never liked the feeling of someone clinging to me all the time but I love people.

Does that make sense?

I think that until the age I'm at now, I misinterpreted what being "clingy" really means. I automatically picture someone following someone else around but the thing that bothers me about it is what the other person is taking from me. If you read my last article I talked about how being in the company of people who don't give me the freedom to be who I am is too expensive.

I started paying attention to the times when I've felt this way with a friend or family member and there's more to the story than them just following me around. I'm bothered by the fact that they don't give me room to be myself.

The experiences I've had just attract people who want me to live a certain way, which puts me in a lot of conflict as a Christian. If you don't know how to marginalize and set boundaries for these types of people, you'll get caught up with them.

One of the biggest convictions God gives me is pushing me to be who I am, so being around people who try to silence or limit that is too high of a price in a relationship for me.

If you have experienced this or if you're going through this right now, you'll be able to appreciate the gratitude I'm expressing for the friends who HAVE given me that room to be who I truly am.

Sometimes I don't know where I'm going because God has something different planned. Sometimes God wants me to exercise my faith and hold on to whatever he's showing me.

But when I mention God, you, my true friends, don't even try to intercede because you understand that whatever I'm going through or why we haven't talked in months is bigger than us.

You don't demand an explanation from me because you're not insecure about our relationship or yourself, even if you feel insecure about it when you have knowledge about something it can't be taken away. You also know that you know that you know that we'll always be here for each other.

I know this because that's what your actions show me and you know that I'm more than willing to reciprocate this for you.

You don't hate on me. I used to think this was normal until I recently learned that it's actually very toxic because people that hate on you can't truly like you. People that GENUINELY like you do not hate on you.

You challenge me to be better. When I see you, it makes me so proud and I want to go after what I want, just like you do.

These friends inspire me. I don't mean a little. I mean they constantly inspire me.

If I'm being honest I can only name two to three people that have always given me this space since I've known them. I don't say this to discredit other friends. I'm writing specifically for the friends that I have only known them to give me that space I need to become better. Obviously, I don't mind stepping on any toes though when writing this, but anyone that knows me knows that typically I'm not one to avoid what needs to be talked about.

The type of friends that I'm trying to express my gratitude to are the friends that are there when I'm going through something that feels traumatic, even if it's just to listen. They're there, even if they don't understand.

I would say I've been very blessed in my relationships but everyone can't be like these people. These people have a certain amount of maturity, confidence within themselves, and self-awareness that is unmatched and continues to grow every time I see them.

One of the most prominent factors is that we can grow next to each other without being intimidated by each other. I know that in some areas of my generation that people claim to completely support all their friends and their endeavors but talk is cheap.

These are not friends who reluctantly say that they support out of duty. They say it because they mean it and I only believe them because they always prove it. They don't rush me to finish talking about my new experiences in life because they're actually excited about seeing their friends flourish. They add onto the ideas that I'm having and give real criticism.

They point out areas of conflict that I wouldn't have seen without them. They help me build and show up to support me. I'm already so humbled by the experiences God gives, but I'm exceptionally blessed to have these friends that are there cheering me on because we believe we all win when one of us wins. They completely understand that whatever God tells me to do whether perceived as a "big" or "small" thing, it's always important and of number one priority to me.

I feel like these friends are my safe haven. They're my circle of influence which is extremely important to pay attention to. When we meet it can feel a lot like a business meeting 80% of the time because they're friends that help you build and better who you are in every area. They help you build and better who you are spiritually, mentally, physically, academically within your career aspirations, and more.

I must admit that I didn't really realize how important the values are of the people who influence you until God really started showing me direction in my career aspirations.

There's a unique level of maturity and wisdom that he has shown me to keep around me for where I'm going. Of course, he's not telling me to write off the world or anything but he really helped me get an amazing level of understanding about the people in your circle.

If you want someone to live in a little box of what you expect and limit them to one way of living, then you're going to hate being my friend because I'm going wherever God sends me. I've had to outgrow and leave a lot of people because of the convictions he's given me but he's taught me how to not live in my emotions.

Yes, it's painful but I have zero tolerance for things that take away my peace.