5 Quotes From ‘FRIENDS’ To Get You Through Life

I can relate to the fourth one...

51

The American sitcom may have ended 16 years ago, yet it is still relevant in 2021. "Friends" was about the family you were not born into, but the one you chose.

Following its initial run on American television network NBC, it has been re-run many times over the years and loved by fans globally. It is still so popular that Warner Brothers still gets $1 billion annually from the sitcom's revenue. These quotes from each of the main cast of "Friends" are great advice for different situations in life.

1. "You can't just give up. Is that what a dinosaur would do?"

Joey may not have had the best romantic relationships, but he was surely the most loyal and caring friend of them all. His good-natured personality combined with working class Italian-American charismatic looks and empty-headed nature makes him one of my favorites.

This quote was on the last episode of the sitcom, where Joey was trying to persuade Ross to tell Rachel how he feels one last time. The first part of the quote is a philosophy we should all strive to achieve - you can't just give up. No dreams ever come true after giving up, no obstacles are overcome by giving up. We should all live our life to the fullest, and let nothing stop us.

2. "No uterus, no opinion."

Rachel was the ultimate fashionista, a style icon of the 90s and early 2000s. She was a feminist and a success story: from spoiled daddy's girl to successful businesswoman. This quote helps us realize that maybe not everyone understands exactly what you're going through, so take what they say with a grain of salt. Never let someone decide for you, especially if they have never been (or ever will be) in your shoes.

3. "I wish I could, but I don't want to."

The queen of all things quirky, the most complex character of the group, Phoebe was both strong and childish at the same time. You just know that if Phoebe were a real person she'd be singing "Smelly Cat" on Spotify to a growing number of followers.

Her very blunt and honest quote was chosen because it is important never to waste our time doing things we don't actually want to do. How many situations could be made less complicated if everyone were honest about how they feel? Always be honest, and put the niceties aside.

4. "When I first meet someone, it's usually panic, anxiety and a great deal of sweating."

He was sarcastic to a fault, always ready to make a witty, funny comment on anything and everything. Chandler had what was often called a boring job as a data analyst (which is currently in popular demand).

Like Phoebe, his complicated childhood left lasting scars that viewers witnessed him overcome over the years. His quote helps us realize that everything will work out in the end, even if you panic. It's OK to go through a normal range of emotions in various social situations. The first step is to own up to your feelings.

5. "If you're too afraid to be in a relationship, then don't be in one."

Monica was the mother hen of the group, even throwing a fit over being the 'best hostess' during one episode. A control freak and perfectionist, she was always available to give sound and reasonable advice to her friends. This chosen quote is perfect life advice that is not only applicable to relationships. Basically, if you are not ready for something - then be honest with yourself and simply don't force yourself into it.