To The Girls Who Choose Relationships Over Their Friendships

Growing up as a young woman, I can remember the excitement of dating for the first time and telling all your friends about a boy you like. When we are younger we always picture ourselves finding someone and dating in high school and then staying together into college. However, this is not the reality of what happens to everyone.

Couples usually break up right before college which ends up being OK because in college you often get to meet "your bridesmaids" as many people say. These are the girls who you never knew you needed and will be the ones who stand up with you on your wedding day.

Despite having great friendships, women still feel the need to drop their friends the second they start talking to or dating someone new.

This has always been something that frustrated me so much because the way I view relationships and friendships is so different than most people do. Friendships with your girlfriends are so very important. You have your entire life to be with someone else romantically but you do not have your entire life to be with your girlfriends. The time with your girlfriends, especially in college, is so special because after college you never know if you will live that close with your friends again.

The time with your girlfriends is so limited so girls it can be OK to blow a guy off to be with your girls. A guy who makes you choose between him and your friendships is not a guy you should want to be with anyway. You deserve time away from your relationship to be with your friends and not have to worry that your boyfriend is going to freak out. Also, your girlfriends are always going to be the ones there for you for everything, especially for relationship advice. They are the ones who are going to talk things through with you — the good and the bad of everything.

Recently for those who listen to the Call Her Daddy podcast Alex Cooper and Sofia Franklyn had a friendship break up over a guy and work. They both lost their work friendship and Sofia literally lost her best friend over all of what happened. Everyone on the outside of the friendship could see how ridiculous Sofia is for giving up her friendship with Alex for a guy, but the truth is most girls would do what Sofia did and go with the guy because what girl wants to not pick her guy?

I think it can be easy to say "I would never pick a guy over friendship" but it happens more than it should.

Relationships come and go but your girlfriends will always remain no matter the circumstances. I hope this article reminds girls that your friendships are everything and more and you should stick with your girls because they have your back for life.

Follow Swoon on Instagram.