Life is Hard, Friends Shouldn't Be

'Friends' not 'Trends'

There's enough shitty people in the world, I don't want anymore.

114
'Friends' not 'Trends'
Jamie McVicker

As I sit in Rome, I've decided to take a moment and look at everything I've accomplished this year. It's been crazy. A year ago, I was head over heels in love with my sorority. I thought the friends I had, cared about me. I was so naïve.

The night this guy I had a crush on invited me, but I didn't want to go out with him, but I liked him, but I was homesick and I wanted my mommy.Maria Marrugo

Since winter break, shit has hit the fan. HARD.

I opened my eyes, and realized that the life I made, was full of shit. I wasn't happy. I was finding temporary solutions, to permanent issues. That being, the friends I chose in Chicago.

ScreenshotMaria Marrugo

See, I have the best friends in the whole entire world. When I am with them, I feel nothing but love! We genuinely care about each other, the only down side, is that they live states and countries away.

Sarah (left) is somewhere traveling in Europe. Me (middle). Antonia (right) lives in Florida. Most of my friends live so far away from me!Candace F.

I mean, for fucks sake, it's college. I thought everyone came to college to have a great time, drink some beer, learn some shit, and meet your bridesmaid/best man.

I was so wrong.

PEOPLE.

DON'T.

CARE.

To be fair, everyone is going through their own shit. But that's not an excuse to be an asshole. HELLO! We are ALL going through shit, you are not special honeyyyyy!

Petra, Jordan.Kate

The way I envisioned my college years, was not like this. Expectations really fuck you up.

High School Graduation!!!Shenica Bazile

First of all, I moved to the midwest. That alone, is a culture shock waiting to happen. I just don't like my school. It's way too liberal, and I am way too, not liberal.

Second of all, you really have to try to be social, and I don't have the energy for that. Freshmen year I wanted to transfer, but I was too scared to start again, I decided to suck it up.

Racheal's Birthday dinner, when we all knew she was having baby Carter!Amber

WORSE.

MISTAKE.

EVER.

Jamie and I were trying to get a picture, and this guy wanted to get in itSomeone

I didn't think college was going to be this hard. And because I am so damn stubborn, I did not want to admit it. I was miserable, and I pretended everything was fine. I was in denial. I didn't want my friends thinking I was lame for transferring, or worse, go back home to Florida. (Not that I hate Florida, but I'm tired of it, ya feels? I grew up there half my life, I wanted something different).

I tried so hard to fit in, but DePaul just isn't for me! I don't like going to McGees (our college bar). The sororities don't even have houses. People are stingy and rude. No one is attractive, it is all the cheerleader effect. Tax is 11%. There are so many homeless people, and corrupt politicians!

FTW with Julie.Valery Sanchez

Not only is the environment harsh, but I'm just not like that. I didn't find the things people find fun. I found myself just being so bitter and unhappy. I started typing and that's when I realized that it's okay. I don't like my school, and I am not a city person.

Now, I am less dumb, so I know when to quit. After deciding to give DePaul another try, I studied abroad. Things were still weird, so I decided to join a sorority. The thing is, the sorority only put a band-aid on the real issue here:

I fucking hate winters.

I get way too overwhelmed.

And oh, I now have anxiety.

Great.

I regret going to school in a big city, just because I wasn't ready. I let so much get to me, and I still do!

I just can't help it. I care so much about everything I do, it's a curse. When I care, I give my everything to that, and most times, it just bites me in the ass.

I realized that I need pretty things, and nice people near me. I can't survive around negativity and toxic people. It will actually eat away my happiness. There were two moments that I knew things were wrong:

One, when my friends came to visit (from Naples), the people I considered 'friends' (in Chicago) were not very welcoming. Again, my friends mean the world to me, and if you're not welcoming them, fuck you. Seriously. Why make anyone feel weird? That's just weird dude, you're weird.

Second, when I talked to multiple people about dropping, they each had different stories of their ups and downs. None of them made sense, to my own reasons. Until one moment I realized, I am trying so hard to fit in, by changing everything about me. I know I was being emotional and sensitive, but perhaps we are so detached that we don't know we are being rude. I'm pretty sure that 'friends' don't leave each other on read and never respond to each other. 'Friends' don't make plans and cancel, all the time. Friends don't put each other down. Later you told me that, "you once had an anxiety attack and ran out of the room crying. Your 'best-friend' saw it and didn't text or call to make sure you were okay". Fuck that (excuse my lack of words), that is not a friend. Friends don't do that. Perhaps we have become so detached, that we "think" friends do that. But my friends, WILL NOT DO THAT.

When my friends came to visit fleeing Irma!Carol

Friends are the only people in the world that lift you up. Friends don't let you be depressed, and not call. Friends take you out, when you're heart is sad the crush you had didn't like you back. Friends treat each other with love and respect, ALL THE TIME, no matter what. Dude, no excuses.

That's when I realized, that I did not want any part of it. I've been so let down and disappointed in a lifetime, I can't do it anymore. Not only can I not tolerate that, but I chose to not tolerate it. What am I supposed to tell my daughter? Yes, honey, allow people to treat you like shit. Oh heck no!

First Cubs GameValentina

So here I am, starting over, three years later. When I should of done it freshmen year. Cutting out all the people that are not my friends. Starting fresh, and making and keeping people around me that care.

I'm not saying that the people I've met were horrible. I was just going through a time, when I needed support. I was in a sad hole, and just needed friends. Some people were there and some weren't. Nothing personal, but it's hard to think someone is your friend when they're not there. It's just now, I know I wouldn't do that much for certain people you know?

Mrs. Godley chemistry class at Naples High.Jamie McVicker