I'm Friends With A Man On Death Row

I'm Friends With A Man On Death Row

And I'm here to tell his story.

878
I'm Friends With A Man On Death Row
videoblocks.com

Yes, you read that right. This past year and a half I have been corresponding with a man who is sentenced to die. In fact, he has come face-to-face death three times and is the first in line to be executed if Oklahoma resumes the death penalty.

And the worst part is he may die for a crime that I and many others believe, he did not commit.

This man is Richard Glossip and I invite you to read on to learn his story.

If you have limited time, to watch this you can also look up his case on the internet or visit the site.

I'm not also here to analyze the politics of the death penalty. Straight politics aren't really my thing and that also needs a whole article for an adequate explanation. All I am simply here to do is talk about Rich as a person and friend. I want to tell his story, the story of a human with dignity who is being treated like a monster.

So many of you may be thinking... how the heck did you become friends with a person locked behind bars in Oklahoma? Well, its pretty simple, I reached out.

I follow Sister Helen Prejean on Facebook, a Catholic nun who is a strong advocate of abolishing the death penalty. You can also see her page. She posted on Facebook that Richard Glossip was going through a tough time and would really appreciate letters of encouragement.

I picked up a pen, wrote how I had heard about his story, and how I was praying for him. I sent it to the mailing address she posted but didn't expect anything in return. I mean it was only a general-your-in-my-thoughts card, but I figured the least I could do was show my support.

A few months later I got a 5-page response and was so shocked by it.

Rich wrote back.

He explained facts about himself and his story. He shared his interests--his love of music with his favorite songs, his love for food, but how awful prison food is, his love for nature, and his interest in reading.

This man asked for no pity whatsoever. He did not go into detail about his case or try to "win me over" as an advocate for him. He simply told him about himself like anyone else would when they first met.

The most shocking thing was he sent me jokes! He wanted to make the girl who was free and happy laugh! I mean if that isn't humility I don't know what is. Richard was so unbelievably human and that was the hardest pill to swallow. This country is not, in fact, executing estranged wild animals. They are killing human beings like you and me--people with dreams, hopes, humor, grief, faith and everything in between.

I immediately wrote back to Rich sharing some of my interests and favorite music, just basic ice-breaker facts. I included some puns at the end that were not very funny, but hey, it was the best I could do.

From there, Rich and I began corresponding every month or so throughout the year. I began sending him pictures of nature I took. I mean I couldn't imagine being locked in a tiny room for 18 years of my life, without being able to appreciate the beauty of nature. Going to see the sunset is my greatest therapy. We continued to talk about different issues like solidarity as I shared my study abroad experience in Nicaragua.

Through these letters, I now consider Rich a friend and hold him close to my heart. Not a friend through manipulation or pity, but a friend united by our unique human identities.

Richard has been in prison for 18 years.

His execution date has been changed 3 times due to the faulty and inhumane drugs used in the death penalty.

Imagine that...what if I tell you that you have 60 days to live? How can one handle that?

Rich had to mentally prepare to die, he made it to the day, and then was told his execution is delayed that same day, three times over. I mean what kind of mental torture is that? Anticipating death is almost as bad as death itself.

Then the news came, the governor of Oklahoma vouched to resume executions even after being advised by doctors that the drugs used in the death penalty are inhumane.

There are so many examples of botched executions, just search it on google. This means Richard could die anytime, losing his fiance, his hopes and dreams of freedom, and his life. So I encourage you, let the story of Richard Glossip sink in. See how you can reach out to those who are suffering around you. A try to bring your piece of justice to a hurting world. I believe this starts with sharing people's stories. Here is just one among millions. Pass it on.