I Tried To Make New Friends By Giving Away Donuts, And It Sort Of Worked

Krispy Kreme: satisfying hunger and helping social lives one donut at a time.

21
Kelli Frye

Being a transfer student is hard. I went from a small school to an actual university, and it's a challenge to change the way you socialize.

See, being at a small college means you sit by someone random and talk. It's very easy and simple to make new friends there, but being at a university is, well, EXTREMELY DIFFERENT.

First, no one sits near one another unless you knew them before classes started. Secondly, it's a bit challenging to just go up to someone random and strike a conversation if you are a bit shy, like me.

The biggest complication, though, was by far everyone already has their friend groups and knows one another. You become a bit of an outsider because you aren't sure who you should talk to.

Luckily, I have been able to overcome barriers and meet a couple new people.

Then, it hit me.

I go to a university with Krispy Kreme at least an hour away, so no one gets Krispy Kreme there, but it's right down the road from my old school.

Because it's a long drive for me, I decided to stop at Krispy Kreme right off the interstate and use a "buy one get one free dozen donuts" coupon.

When I reached the end of class, I went to the student center. While there, I sat at the table closest to a door. Then I put out this (very low-funded, amateur) sign:

One donut in exchange for three facts about yourself. I mean, come on. Free donuts? YES PLEASE.

But no one came up to me. I kept trying to smile and make eye contact with everyone coming across my viewing path, but it wasn't until one teacher saw the boxes of doughnuts.

We'll call her Professor Joy.

So Professor Joy read the sign, smiled and told me how cute of an idea this is. She asked if I was a freshman, but I was able to tell her I'm a transfer!

She was super sweet and helped me understand how most people already have their friend groups because of freshman year. She didn't take a donut, but she gave me her name and told me to feel free to stop by her office if I want any references to find friends!

After she left, a guy walked through the door and automatically found interest.

We'll call him Tim.

Tim asked, "Can I have one?"

Being my quirky self I said, "Only if you give me three facts about yourself."

Turns out he is from South Africa, likes to skateboard and I forgot the last fact. I found it super cool that he is from South Africa! Sadly, I think he was just in it for the donuts.

But that's OK because I met a kind girl, who we'll name Emma.

Emma came up and seemed much more interested in being friends. She told me three lovely facts about herself:

1. Her name.

2. She's a sophomore.

3. She is studying international affairs.

I then told her:

1. My name.

2. I'm a junior.

3. I'm studying accounting.

We then proceeded to exchange numbers, and I had to offer her a donut because she was too sweet!

After she left, it was time for me to go to a study group.

Overall, I'm thankful for Krispy Kreme, nice people and coupons. I want to encourage everyone struggling to find new people to socialize with by saying this: YOU CAN DO IT!! Creativity can be fun, but do whatever you feel like suits you.