My Roommate Tattooed My Stupid Doodle On Her Body
Lifestyles

I Drew A Stupid Doodle And My Roommate Tattooed It Onto Her Body

I am honestly more in shock about my roommate's most recent tattoo choice than she is, but I gotta be honest, this tattoo is OUT OF THIS WORLD.

295
Gabby Sheets

A few months before my first semester in college, I was scouring Facebook for a roommate. There was this page full of random strangers claiming to be an incoming freshman at Bowling Green State University, and I didn't even know where to start. It was when I sifting through the accounts that I found my roommate. Her name was Adelaide, Addy for short. She was the person that would soon become my best friend, my lifeline, my soul mate in the tumultuous year that was my freshman year at college.

It's easy to say that Addy and I hit it off. From the first time we were messaging each other on social media to the time we met in person at freshman orientation to the time we began finishing each other's sentences, we were best friends. It is as simple as that. I cannot even begin to imagine starting off my college years without her, and I really don't want to.

But anyways, moving on to the tattoo business! I really don't know how to describe to you all how insignificant this pathetic little UFO was to me before this happened. I would doodle it on my notes in class. I would sneakily scribble it onto whiteboards on stranger's doors to their dorms. It was and still is my go-to doodling effort, considering it is really the only presentable thing that I can muster up. I have never, ever considered myself a talented artist.

And yet here I am, staring at my roommate's ankle, where my little, dumb alien now sits permanently. My mind is blown.

I have known for some time now that my roommate wanted a tattoo. She was always talking about it and the possibilities of what she might get. However, it wasn't until one random night when I was doodling my UFO up on our dorm's whiteboard for the umpteenth time that I started joking about how we should all get this little alien tattooed on our bodies. I said this with zero intention of it actually becoming a reality. But, it was as I continued to laugh and draw, that I Addy said she would get it.

No joke.

On her body.

Forever.

WHAT?!?

And so it was on this past Saturday evening that Addy, our friend Sydney, and I arrived at Broad Wing Tattoos and Body Piercings in Bowling Green. It was happening.

I was more nervous than she was it seemed, but it was just because I couldn't believe it. Even as I sat there, watching the tattoo artist stab the ink into her skin I still couldn't. How could this human being love me and/or my dumb alien doodles enough to get it tattooed on her body? I still do not know the answer to this question, but there is no going back. My roommate/best friend is stuck looking at my alien doodle for the rest of her life which means she is basically stuck with me.

We have talked about the possibilities for the future. Like what if we don't stay friends? What if we end up hating each other? While I sincerely doubt either of those things would happen, my roommate said that is doesn't matter to her. She loves the tattoo. She loves me. She said if we don't stay BFF's, whatever that means, then it is okay because this tattoo represents a time in her life where she was happy in her youth with her friends, experiencing her first year of college.

People say that nothing lasts forever, but that doesn't mean you can't try and remember it for a lifetime. I aspire to do this more often. I think everyone should.