I Fell For The Guy Who Only Wanted To Be Friends

Because in the end, I only have me, and she is done walking, but taking flight.

45
Thought Catalog

Life connects us to many relationships. Some of the relationships are meant to teach us lessons, some relationships are meant to provide us with unyielding support, and some relationships are meant to keep us honest to who we are.

But we all stumble upon that relationship that is unhealthy for us. We stick around for too long, hurt ourselves continually until we finally gain enough courage to walk away. I wish I would have done that sooner.

Of course, the relationship began unexpectedly and with full confidence that everything would end on good terms. We met, he instantly swept me off my feet, and I felt like I could fully trust someone again after all I had been through.

The first night together we shared our stories, our pasts, our everything with one another. I truly felt like I connected with who he was. And when the night was over, I had no expectation that a future was in store--not because I did not believe in him, but I did not believe in anyone at the time. But we stayed connected, and became inseparable for the next couple weeks; however, it did not take long for things to get rocky.

He had obscure situations in his life to deal with, and I had mine too. Our friendship fell through the cracks, we lost touch, and went our separate ways.

You would think that the two of us ended our connection at that, but the universe seemed to keep pulling us closer. Maybe it was fate, or God, but something kept bringing us back into each other's lives.

I am an expert at avoiding people, but he was the one person who never seemed to go away.

If you saw us you could instantly see the connection between us, and for the next few years, it never ignited a full flame, but still flickered dimly in the darkness. I knew he would always be there for me, and I always hoped he felt the same.

I experienced a lot of challenges throughout those years, and honestly did not love myself enough to fully love someone else.

I wanted to completely trust him, but there was always a part of me that restricted myself from doing so. Maybe it was the flirtatious actions that constantly confused me, or how much he constantly claimed to care about me.

Or maybe it was how he told me I was the one person his sister could look up to, and how I deserve to be given the world.

Or maybe it was how he told me the two of us had a chance together, and that he loved me. Because after every time he gave me hope, he seemed to let me down.

And I know what you are thinking right now: She fell for the guy who obviously only wanted to be her friend.

She was giving one hundred percent while he did not want a commitment. She was holding onto some glimmer of light that never truly was meant to be hers. She had stepped into the quicksand, and turning back was eliminated as an option.

And you are right. I just wish I would have noticed sooner.

I wish I could retrace my steps back to the time after our first negative encounter. I wish I would have recognized the pang in my gut that was telling me to run for the hills as fast as I could.

I wish I would have let go then.

I could have avoided the disappointment and the heart break. I could have steered clear of the drama that followed. I could have allowed myself to love who I am, instead of chasing a dream that was never meant to come true.

But after everything is said and done, I still believe I am thankful for the roller coaster of emotions that man put me through. I learned what I value in a partner, and even what I value in a friend. I learned that some people may love you, but express it in the worst ways. I learned that some people may hurt you repeatedly, and even though you still believe in them, you can walk away. You still deserve better.

I should have walked away when my heart told me to. I should have listened to myself when I told him that he could not be a part of my life. I should have loved myself more at the time, instead of always putting him first.