To The Friend I Outgrew, Sorry Not Sorry

"I hope that you figure out quickly that people who truly care about you aren’t going to tell you what you want to hear, but what you need to hear."

263
Unsplash

Dear Old Friend,

It seems as though our time has come to an end. We tried, but we are just two completely different people. From the day I met you I knew we were different, but I never knew HOW different. When I found out that this relationship was coming to an end I felt sad for a few days, but in all honesty: it’s not me, it’s you.

I tried my best to be a good friend to you. To be there for you during your times of pain; I even left work early when you needed me. To sit with you while you vented over boy troubles because I understood like no one else. I was always happy to serve as a listening ear, but that got thrown back at my face.

When I first heard you were talking behind my back I cannot say that I was surprised. You had done it with numerous others, and I thought maybe that was something that you would never do to me. Boy was I wrong. It seems that people will turn on you no matter how close you seem to be, but that’s okay. I get it.

In all honesty, I’m sadder that you never came directly to me with the issue. If you would have been honest with me from the start, I feel like we could have worked through this. That did not happen though. I’m sorry if I ever put you in a situation where you felt you NEEDED to talk bad about me. In all honesty, I tried my best to be a good friend to you and I thought I was doing a pretty good job.

For some reason, you did not see me the way I saw you. I saw you as a good person full of numerous possibilities and hopes. I wanted the best for you and always talked you UP when you were not around. I still see the good that lies within you. And it will be so great when you grow up.

We’re adults now, and we can’t act as if we’re in high school. I hope that you figure out quickly that people who truly care about you aren’t going to tell you what you want to hear, but what you need to hear. The world is not full of enablers. If ever I said something that was different from what you wanted to hear it was because you needed to hear it from someone. It was because I loved you and genuinely did not want to see you get hurt.

I am not sorry for being the one to end the friendship because in all honesty staying in it would not have been healthy for me. It would not have been healthy to be in a relationship where I cared so much while the other person cared so little. I can only stretch myself so far, and I was about to be split.

I’m happy with where I am, and I’m sorry you can’t see that. I wish you the best, and hope that in time you will see the part you played in this. It’s okay if you don’t though, and I hold nothing against you.

Love

From,

Your Mature Friend