To The Friend I Loved And Lost My First Year In College

I hope this letter finds its way to you.

9
Unsplash

Dear friend,

I waffled back and forth about using friend versus acquaintance because I don't think we are friends anymore, but I also feel that after everything we went through together, acquaintance doesn't really fit either. So I settled for "friend" I hope that is okay with you. I know that things ended on a terrible note and I feel that we are both to blame for it. Somewhere in the heat and confusion of chasing our dreams while also trying to live in the moment, we out grew each other. Honestly, I think this was for the best.

After the fallout, all I could focus on was the negative parts of our friendship. I concentrated on the fights and disagreements. I realize now that I was looking at it all wrong. Our friendship was incredible. We had ups and downs, but we always came out stronger. I often find myself scrolling though my camera roll and looking at all of our pictures together and reliving the wonderful memories that we made. I learned a lot from you and I hope I taught you something along the way as well. We really had something special and it sucks that it ended the way that it did, but I think that it needed to happen and we may both be better off. I'd love to think optimistically and spend a whole paragraph talking about how we can work through this, but the reality of the situation is that we aren't good for each other anymore. We had (what I felt was) a fantastic run and I wouldn't trade the experiences I had with you for anything. I'm lucky to have met you when I did because I am a better person from the lessons brought about by what we had.

We never really took the time to talk about what happened so I want to let you know that I'm sorry for the part I took in our "break up." No matter what the circumstances were, as your friend I crossed a line. I should have thought it through before saying what I said. I broke your trust and I'll always regret that this might easily be the way you always remember me. Maybe it's just me, but I know that not having the opportunity to talk it through with you made this more difficult for me to let go of. I can't say that I'm not still hurt by what was said because I am. But I hope for both of our sake, we can find it in ourselves to at least try to forgive each other. We have a long three (or more) years ahead of us, and as much as we like to think it's possible, we can't avoid each other forever.

You may or may not ever see this, but I really hope that you do and that you know that even though things didn't work out for us, I truly want you to be so happy, you are a kind person and deserve it.

sincerely,

SNC