To My Best Friend As She Enters The Real World

I am going to miss you like crazy, but I am so incredibly proud of you.

10
Laura Jaen

Well, well well, here we are; the end of your final semester! I seriously have had a hard time trying to come up with the right words and the right way to send you off. This isn't enough, it never will be, but I just want to share with you how much you mean to me. I'm looking forward to your future because I know it's a bright one. Even though we'll be hundreds of miles apart, I will always be cheering you on. You're one of my best friends, even though life has been crazy for the both of us lately.

To my best friend... as you enter the "real world",

I want to begin by telling you, "let your dreams be bigger than your fears...". Honestly, there's nobody as fearless as you. Knowing you, you're probably thinking right now, "I just know how to pretend like I'm fearless in this big crazy mess of the world". And yeah, you might be a really good actor. However, you really are fearless in the way that you love, in the way that you live your life and in the way that you handle every situation that comes your way. Your sense of fearlessness will help you so much in your near future. Soon, you'll step into a new life and be tempted to never look back. Although I am a huge believer in the idea that we are destined to always find our way back home, I hope that you can make a new home in the places where your dreams take you. I hope you find people that love you as much as your friends and family do right now. We know we'll never be replaced, but all we want is for you to find some people who make your new adventure feel like home.

Your positivity is something that inspires me on an unreal level. You always know how to make me feel better. You are so selfless, genuine and kind. All of these character traits are so important to take on with you in the next step of your life. The world won't always be kind to you, but I know you are strong enough to fight back with kindness anyway.

Above all, what I love most about you and what will do you the best in all of your future endeavors is your passion. I have never met anyone as passionate as you. You've taught me that you can have more than one passion in life. Before you, that wasn't a concept I believed existed. You are so passionate about nature/NPS/etc., photography, and journalism. Some might say they go hand in hand, but really, you devote yourself 110% to every single one of your passions. I admire that most about you and want that for myself.

The one thing I will always regret is not having enough time with you. I only met you a few months ago and looking back, I wonder where you have been my entire college career. You think I am kidding, but I seriously look back and wonder how my life would have been different if you'd been in it for much longer. It seems to me that our paths should have crossed many times before, but I am surprised that it took us so long to find each other.

I've tried my hardest to stay strong. I don't want you to leave. But more than the feeling of not wanting you to go is my desire for you to follow your heart and live the life you've always dreamed of. When you told me you landed your dream job, my eyes flooded with tears. I couldn't believe it- honestly, I still can't.

It has been an honor to know you, love you, work with you, to be your friend. From late night Sonic runs to hunting down the best Christmas light displays, football games, and so many more memories... I only wish we had more time. Thank you for loving me. Thank you for making me feel important. Thank you for being "bae" and for always being there for me. Thank you for understanding- no matter what. Thank you for being the same friend to me whether we talk every day or once a week- you get it and always pick up where we left off. I love you and I'll always cherish our friendship.

With love,

your best friend, cheerleader, number one fan, and biggest supporter.