9 Reasons Freshmen Need To Go To Career Fairs

9 Reasons Freshmen Need To Go To Career Fairs During Their First Semester

Practicing your handshake matters!

70
business-3560932_1920.jpg
pixabay.com

Career fairs are typically events that are advertised to upperclassmen, as a major networking event that can result in job offers.

However, career fairs are great opportunities for everyone on campus. As a freshman or sophomore, attending a networking event will help you gain confidence and knowledge about the proper manner in which to conduct yourself in professional situations.

Even things as simple as eye contact and a handshake are skills that can be honed by attending networking events early on. You can listen in on other's conversations, observe the proper way to dress, and learn from watching the upperclassmen.

It is a great idea for freshmen to attend career fairs and start gaining experience in networking events. Practice really does make perfect!

1. Practice makes perfect 

Even though you are still young, it is never too early to practice your networking skills. Hone these simple "soft-skills" early on, for future success.

2. Experience matters

Experience with networking truly does matter. In the future, you will exude confidence and approach professional networking situations that sometimes may seem daunting with a knowledge of how to conduct yourself.

3. See what other people wear in professional settings

Sometimes, it is difficult to identify what an appropriate professional outfit would be for a given situation. Go to the career fair and observe what upperclassmen and employers wear, so that you have a better understanding for future professional events.

4. Practice your handshake 

A firm handshake and eye contact is one of the most critical parts of a first impression. Career Fairs are all about first impressions, which are made in a matter of seconds. Practice your handshake early on to ensure future success!

5. Get to know different employers

At the very least, just walk around and observe the different companies that are in attendance. You will get to learn about what types of companies go to career fair events and what types of jobs/internships may be a possibility for you in the future.

6. Learn about opportunities for underclassmen 

It is never too early to start learning about opportunities that may be available for you as a freshman or sophomore.

7. Pay attention to other conversations 

Take the opportunity to pay attention to other conversations that are going on while you are in line. Take mental notes, and use other conversations as your roadmap to networking success.

8. Build confidence

Practicing critical networking skills as a freshman will help build your confidence in professional situations so much!

9. Gain perspective 

If you attend a career fair as an under class-men, you will be able to gain valuable perspectives that will help you in the future. In the future, your ill be less stressed and have a positive outlook on the potential possibilities that are present in an event such as a career fair.