Before I started my freshman year at Ball State University, I was determined that I would do okay and maybe even make the dean's list. Boy, I was very very wrong. When people say college is nothing like high school, they are 100% correct. In high school, I didn't really have to try, I never studied for a test, or worried over a homework assignment and I pulled out some pretty good grades the last couple of years, but when I got to college I had a very rude awakening. I was in a sea of people that I had never had any interaction with, my classes were HUGE. Coming from a very small school in the middle of nowhere, where my biggest class was around 12 people, to a lecture hall of 500, and a regular class of 30 was scary. I had to talk to these people and make friends just to be able to understand the content.

Don't get me wrong, I've made a lot of friends this year, and you will too, but please, do your best in every single class. Fall semester wasn't too bad, I pulled out okay grades C's and up, but Spring semester kicked my ass. It doesn't help that I have seasonal depression along with clinical depression on top of that to make it hard to get out of bed in the mornings, but I lost my roommate. She had ended up going home because of her depression and she was the person holding me accountable for my school work and vice versa. My grades began to slip and I was too scared to ask for help because I never had to before. I switched my major at semester as well and ended up needing to take more critical thinking classes and that did not work out in my favor AT ALL. I am the type of learner that needs a concrete answer instead of, 'well maybe if you think about it like this, it could mean this.'

I'll tell you right now, failing a class isn't the worst thing in the world. It may feel like it is, but you can always retake it with a different professor and maybe the new one will be able to explain everything better. If there is someone putting you down for not doing great, just shrug and say there is always next semester but continue to try your hardest. No matter what your major is, biology, journalism, communications, etc. there are always challenging classes so don't think since you are not in a science class you can't be struggling. Some things are hard for some people to grasp, you just have to find the correct way that you can learn. Your freshman year will test you in ways you may not have thought was possible. Mentally, physically, and emotionally, but keep going, keep pushing, and you will see positive results, even if they don't look positive at the moment.