To My Freshman-Year Roommate, Who Is Now Just My 'Best Friend'

Just in case you forgot.

118
Katarina Solovey

Having a roommate in college can be either a blessing or a curse.

I'm sure we've all heard roommate horror stories and hoped we wouldn't end up with a roommate from hell. However, a lot of us get lucky and end up having a best friend in our roommate, whether we picked them from the college's "Class of 20--" Facebook page or got randomly matched with them.

Dear Beloved Roomie,

I have so much to say about you.

I'm so glad you reached out to me and messaged me on Facebook about how we have a similar music taste. I remember when we were still unsure whether or not we wanted to commit to each other as roommates, but I'm beyond glad we did. I know I have a best friend in you, one that I hope I will have forever. There is nothing that can break that roommate bond, between all the laughs, all the times one of us had to play "mom," and all the relaxing nights just watching "Bob's Burgers" until 2 am.

You got me through my first year of college, and I thank you for that.

It took us a while to warm up to each other, but by the end of the first semester, we were closer than ever. Having to go through winter break without you constantly by my side was hard, and I couldn't wait to get back to school and see you again. I knew we were going to conquer the second semester together. Thank you for all the times you voluntarily stayed up late with me when I had an exam the next day, and thank you for celebrating with me over the mere fact that I passed a test I barely studied for. Thank you for reminding me that grades aren't everything and that my worth isn't defined by my grades. That's something my mom always told me, but I didn't believe it until I heard it from a friend.

Living with me could be a hassle, but somehow you made it through a whole year of it.

Thank you for making me feel better about my side of the room being messy because yours was always just as messy. Thank you for all the times you agreed with me on giving up on life and dropping out of school, even though we didn't really mean it (but sometimes we did). I enjoyed hearing you complain about your professors and assignments because it made me feel less alone in stressing about school.

I could go on and on thanking you for things, but most importantly, thank you for the memories.

I am so glad I got to spend my freshman year with a best friend I will have until the day I die. I will hold all our memories close to my heart forever. I will remember all the times we both sang terribly and didn't care. I'll remember turning into a burrito during finals week because our room randomly became the Tundra. I will remember all the times one of us had to play mom, and the times we had a laugh together simply by looking at each other. I'll remember running down the hallway at 2 a.m. I'll remember how much we hated each other's alarms.

But most of all, I'll remember having a best friend by my side during my freshman year of college. I wouldn't have wanted to room with anyone else.

Thank you, I love you!